what is best way to combine ram modules in the dimm slots?

PC Hobbyist

I have a desktop pc with 4 dimm slots.

currently it has: dimm 2 and dimm 4 each 256 mb ram

I want to add 2GB of ram (2x 1GB modules).

Does it matter where I plug the new modules into?
I am planning on installing them on dimm 1 and 3
but I wasn't sure if it is better for dimm 1 and 2 to have the same amount of ram and then dimm 3 and 4 to have the same amount.

Thanks for any helpful tips.

Jamin43

banned
I have a desktop pc with 4 dimm slots.

currently it has: dimm 2 and dimm 4 each 256 mb ram

I want to add 2GB of ram (2x 1GB modules).

Does it matter where I plug the new modules into?
Yes, if you have 4 slots you likely have 2 pairs of dual channel RAM. If you have a pair of RAM that are the same - they can run dual channel mode for better performance. Your Motherboard Manual will tell you which slots to fill for dual channel.

If you randomly plug different compatible RAM in each slot - they will work - but not in dual channel mode.

The amount of RAM you can use is limited by your MOBO / Operating System as well. I had 2 old Pentium 4 PC's both with XP. 1 took up to 2x1 GB - the other only took 2x512 MB. This is also determined by the MOBO.

PC Hobbyist

Yes, if you have 4 slots you likely have 2 pairs of dual channel RAM. If you have a pair of RAM that are the same - they can run dual channel mode for better performance. Your Motherboard Manual will tell you which slots to fill for dual channel.

If you randomly plug different compatible RAM in each slot - they will work - but not in dual channel mode.

The amount of RAM you can use is limited by your MOBO / Operating System as well. I had 2 old Pentium 4 PC's both with XP. 1 took up to 2x1 GB - the other only took 2x512 MB. This is also determined by the MOBO.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the manual for the mobo. It is a Medion PC Pentium 4 @ 3GHz and it will take up to 4 GB of RAM. That much I know.
I can tell you that from the four slots, two are purple (dimms 2 and 4) and two are green (dimms 1 and 3). The pre-installed RAM was installed in the two purple slots. So, I figured installing the two new 1 GB modules in the remaining green slots would be the best way. I haven't booted that PC yet. Is there any way of knowing (once I boot) if my RAM is working in dual channel mode?

88Jonsson

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the manual for the mobo. It is a Medion PC Pentium 4 @ 3GHz and it will take up to 4 GB of RAM. That much I know.
I can tell you that from the four slots, two are purple (dimms 2 and 4) and two are green (dimms 1 and 3). The pre-installed RAM was installed in the two purple slots. So, I figured installing the two new 1 GB modules in the remaining green slots would be the best way. I haven't booted that PC yet. Is there any way of knowing (once I boot) if my RAM is working in dual channel mode?

You can download CPU-Z and it'll tell you if the memory is running in dual or single channel mode.

PC Hobbyist

You can download CPU-Z and it'll tell you if the memory is running in dual or single channel mode.
Thank you. I did that and it shows it in dual mode. :)

I have another question, but it's a bit different topic (RAM recognition) so I'll make a separate thread for it.