What is the difference between these routers?

Deepblue

The WRT54G supports WPA2 among other things such as
Wireless MAC Filtering.

It also has a option to shut down internet access during certian times of the day to all computers or only certian IP address. i know this because i have this router and i have my internet go down at 3:30am so my son cant play WoW all night.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Do a little research on the specs... I don't know much about the WRT55AG, if there's much else besides supporting WirelessA, but you may be able to load DD-WRT on it which opens a TON of new features. Linksys has begin to discourage this by striping some RAM and Flash from their products...

Well I have a Hp DV9500T laptop. Its brand new. It has the wireless card I listed above. Will both wireless routers work with my wireless card?

Also the WRT55AG is listed as having a 2.4/ 5 GHz. frequency band where the other one is just 2.4. Does this mean the 55AG will alow me to travel further from the router being that its 5 GHz.?

Deepblue

your Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN supports IEEE* 802.11a, 802.11b,
802.11g and 802.11n standards, so you could go with a 802.11n router
instead of the 802.11g if you wanted and that will provide a longer range.

and as for the 2.4/ 5 GHz. frequency band

Copied from a goolge search ...................

Operating at the 5GHz radio bands has several advantages over the more common 2.4GHz band:

Better penetration
Better scatter
No abnormal adsorbtion by water or damp
Larger number of non-overlapping channels which means less radio congestion
OFDM over the whole speed range (better for non line of site operation)

On the downside, the Free Space Loss for 5GHz is about 6db worse than 2.4Ghz but, on the good side, the UK permitted power levels are 3-10db (depending upon the actual frequency) higher than 2.4GHz. This means, if you are using 5GHz for long range site-to-site connectivity you need to use a higher power level to cover the same distance.

However the raised permitted power levels and the better non-line-of-site capabilities makes it the preferred method for short range building-to-building connectivity and for in-building use.

Fruitcake

both of the routers will allow you to connect to the internet through your laptop wirelessly

basically if you operate on the 5ghz band instead of the 2.4ghz band it won't be interupted by the chordless phone and such.

i have the WRT54G and it works perfectly for me, all i use it for is the house. it travels 75ft, through 5 walls, and i pick up a 24 mbps connection at about 54% on average. if i put the larger antena on it i get it at 54 mbps at aobut 85% connection.