What is unique about windows 10?

cracker2

I been using windows 7 since its been out. Never bothered with 8. I'm wondering what makes windows 10 so different.
I could care less about bootup times & the mobile look/feel graphical loadout. I don't use a ton of apps. Besides surfing the web & watching shows, I don't do much else. I do play games but not regularly(latest games at least)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I installed 7 on my daughters pc and then upgraded to 10 to test it out. So far, its very different. Don't like using the apps part of it. Also don't like the idea that it automatically updates and you can't disable that feature. I liked using weather channel desktop on 7 but after the fresh install, you can't download it anymore. Its only available for windows 10 and its an app now instead of a program. I'll most likely move my other 2 pc's to 10 before July of next year but won't like it.

strollin

I don't get why people say Win 10 or Win 8 are so different from Win 7. I use all 3 OSes on a daily basis and feel they are so similar that I barely notice when I switch OSes. I use the same email client, the same browser, the same video player, the same Office suite, etc... All 3 have the same desktop and the same taskbar.

There's no reason why you need to use the "modern" apps that come with Win 8 and Win 10, use the same apps you used in Win 7.

aldan

upgraded to 10 and hardly noticed a difference.saw lots of other users problems but had none of my own.touch wood.all in all i quite like it.

jevery

I really like Win7 and resisted the constant prodding to upgrade, though, eventually did. Like aldan, I quite like it too - Look and feel reminds me of my Xbox 1.

hirobo2

I cant and wont use Win10. It's basically Win7 with Metro apps and a flat look.

Win10 also gives out your WiFi password to interested parties and you're always one update away from a non-working PC thanks to forced updates. I'll stick with Win7 no ty!

(If they would remove wifi password sharing completely, and give TOTAL update control back to the user, then I might consider it, but these appear to be critical components of the OS itself!)

Okedokey

I cant and wont use Win10. It's basically Win7 with Metro apps and a flat look.

Win10 also gives out your WiFi password to interested parties and you're always one update away from a non-working PC thanks to forced updates. I'll stick with Win7 no ty!

(If they would remove wifi password sharing completely, and give TOTAL update control back to the user, then I might consider it, but these appear to be critical components of the OS itself!)

The wifi sharing is complete bollocks.

hirobo2

The wifi sharing is complete bollocks.

It's not bollocks. The official name is WiFi Sense. It's not ordinary ppl accessing I'm afraid of. It's the unauthorized snooping of my network by the authorities (whom made Microsoft cooperrate with them). The moment you log onto a passworded WiFi in Windows 10, the police and Feds and CIA know the secret code to your router, not that I have anything to hide from them...

beers

Staff member
The moment you log onto a passworded WiFi in Windows 10, the police and Feds and CIA know the secret code to your router, not that I have anything to hide from them...
It doesn't sound like you're particularly well versed in this realm ;)