What is wrong? I can't find the problem!

Pauly73Drifter

Hi guys, here is my problem. I recently needed to clean out all my fans and heatsinks because they were filthy dirty. So, I cleaned the CPU fan and heatsink, the graphics card fan and heatsink and the system case fan. All were dirty. Then, plugged everything in, all the way it was. Plugged in all my cables. Turned it on, computer responds normally but I am getting no picture at all on my screen. The monitor can detect a pc because when no pc is connected it says no signal then when I re connect the plugs it says signal detected. So the cables are connected fine. I even plugged in a different monitor but nothing. So screen isn't blown. Checked if the graphics card or any heatsinks were loose, there all fine. Fan still spins on graphics card so it's getting power.

I don't know what to do! I am lost for solutions. It is bugging me like crazy. Please if someone could help me or tell me what might be wrong I will very highly appreciate it.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Pull the video card out and reset it. ALSO if there are 2 monitor outs, make sure you are using the proper one.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I think he meant re-seat it as opposed to reset it. Re-seating is pulling it out, then putting it back in, taking care to note that it's properly installed and fully-seated into the PCI slot. The 2 monitor out should be self-explanatory I hope? :D j/k

See if that works and Post up the results. It's probably a minor problem.

Pauly73Drifter

Still nothing. No picture at all. I tried several times taking it out and putting it back in but nothing. I also tried puting the cpu heatsink in and out but nothing. I don't know why it's happened as before it worked then I clean it for better performance and it fails.

Could it be that I removed my CPU heatsink then put it back in.
Could my graphics card be stuffed although it sends a signal and powers up and also the fan works.

I was thinking of just briging it into a shop but I think that is a waste of time and money.

Does anyone know what else it might be? All plugs are fine and everything is connected and put in correctly. I think it could be my graphics card but as I don't know as much as you guys I will take your guys advice. Cheers

Pauly73Drifter

OK, guys this is the go. I borrowed my mates graphics card and same thing, no picture. So, I don't believe it is my graphics card.

There is only one thing I can think of:
On the back of the CPU heatsink there is about 120 pins or so. When I was putting it back in I accidently bent about 10 of them. I then took it off and straightened them perfectly. Put the CPU back in and it went in perfect all pins in place. Could this be a problem and if 1 or 2 pins are not 100% touching would that set this off?

I feel like just chucking it out and buying a new one! lol jks they can get so irritating. I bet this problem is something miniature.

All help highly appreciated!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
There is only one thing I can think of:
On the back of the CPU heatsink there is about 120 pins or so. When I was putting it back in I accidently bent about 10 of them. I then took it off and straightened them perfectly. Put the CPU back in and it went in perfect all pins in place. Could this be a problem and if 1 or 2 pins are not 100% touching would that set this off?

:rolleyes:

Problem solved!

twitchtwice

If one of them is bent to where you cant even tell then it wont work. so you have to be EXTREMELY cautious when building these things. They are worse than your girlfriend/wife. I promise

cannouu

nothin you ca do, you replace your memory? if you did then make sure your memory is in righte. or if your memory slot is messed up. if not, were you grounded when you were cleaning the fans? if not then you porlly messed up yur motheboard, remember to be grounded before touching any motherboard parts. try a new video card befiore u do taht.