What Laptop to get from my list here

Debbie25

OK, I'm looking for a new laptop.
Right now I have a Thinkpad T43 with 2gb ram.

All I use it for is surfing the web and email.
The biggist slow down on my system now is playing Cityville and Frontierville on Facebook.
The other thing that is slow is when I copy a video from my camera to my HD and try to play it... It's choppy.

I need to pick from the list below because I have to get it at costco (Hubby is big on there return policy and the 2 year warrenty).

I would like to stay under $650 if possible.

I really like trackpoints but the only one in this list that has one is the Thinkpad SL510.
I went to Costco and I found that I think I can get use to a trackpad because they are getting bigger and smoother.
Not sure how you scroll with them though.

So out of this list and what I would use it for, what would be a good laptop for me.
Give any Pros and Cons you might have.

HP g62x = i3-370M 2.40GHz
Lenovo G560 - i5-480M 2.66GHz
Lenovo SL510 - T6670 (2.2GHz)
Dell Inspiron 15R - i3-2310M 2.10GHz
HP g6t - i3-380M 2.53GHz
HP g6t - i5-480M 2.66GHz
Samsung Q430 - i5-480M 2.66 GHz

Thanks,
Debbie

wolfeking

banned
though a previous generation processor, the SL510 is the best quality there. and it has that trackpoint that you like.

As for scrolling with it, you may be able to use scroll lock, but on my IBM thinkpads, it was impossible to scroll without clicking the scroll bar on the page (using trackpoint)

wolfeking

banned
lenovo and IBM literally test their design (thinkpad) by throwing them at a wall. If it survives, its an accepted design. Not to mention all the bracing and support they have in them. They are a very reliable design. Heck, I still got a 400MHz P2 IBM Thinkpad out in the truck thats almost 15 years old and still works for what I need (serial port and notepad, running 98SE). How many samsung lappies are 15 years old and still work (talking actually field work, not setting in an office for 15 years)?

Debbie25

Thanks wolfeking I was hoping someone would boast the Thinkpad.
I did like the feel of the touchpad on others but looking at the pics and video of some on my list it has a number pad (which I wouldn't need) and that put the touchpad way over to the left side which I can't see laying my arm across my stomach to use.

DMGrier - The Samsung looks nice too but I'm realizing that it is not a widescreen and would be like the one I have and I think I would like to try a WS.

Perkomate

that Dell is actually a killer deal. I know someone that has one, and it's actually really good, with a big screen and nice graphics card. Good price too.

DMGrier

VIP Member
lenovo and IBM literally test their design (thinkpad) by throwing them at a wall. If it survives, its an accepted design. Not to mention all the bracing and support they have in them. They are a very reliable design. Heck, I still got a 400MHz P2 IBM Thinkpad out in the truck thats almost 15 years old and still works for what I need (serial port and notepad, running 98SE). How many samsung lappies are 15 years old and still work (talking actually field work, not setting in an office for 15 years)?

Your point? I have had Dells make it through deployment's with me on a steel ship that have dropped and and have got banged around. I currently have one Dell that is 5 years old and still running. I have seen a few Samsung that my friends have had with no issues and I would say that a notebook surviving multiple deployments in the Navy is true field testing since they are being used for what laptops are meant too.

IBM thinkpad's are very nice and a great quality, I am just saying that if I wanted a laptop that look's great, built well and uses quality hardware at a decent price Samsung is very nice. The IBM looks well like something from the early 2000 era and price on the thinkpad are kind of up there for decent performance at best.

The key is to stay away from the lower end companies like Hp, Acer, Toshiba, gateway and emachine.

wolfeking

banned
hps business line is ok. Especially the probooks. Just not the average consumer line.

My point above was that I have has trucks (fairly new at that) that wouldnt last a year down in the dirt and mud, hauling 15K+ pounds of concrete, yet the thinkpad handles dirt, drops, concrete dust (well the powder thats used to make it), magnetism, and all around abuse.
Military deployment would be a good test, but I wouldnt call it an end all. After all, I doubt you have dirt and mud shipside.

DMGrier

VIP Member
No but we have a whole load of sea water:), plus I work in the engine rooms where there is fuel, lube oil and sea water in amounts you could never imagine plus steel decks which is a pretty hard surface.

That is cool the test IBM go through but 90% of users will not ever put that through the test. The around 1k IBM think pad's are decent, a nice Samsung or Asus will give him more performance for the dollar and when I say quality build I mean that they user higher end parts and it was assembled correctly unlike a issue you see commonly in those lower end companies I listed above in a earlier post.

Debbie25

I wish Laptops had a place to put a second Hard drive in.
I know you can get an 'Slim bay' to put into the CD-Rom bay but then you have to buy the 'Slim bay'
Why is because I do have a 80gb SSD that I wouldn't mind installing for the OS and then the 500gb driver for other partitions.

I could still do that and just piggyback the 500gb onto the top of the laptop to the USB like I have now.

Debbie25

I find it interesting when 2 weeks ago you could find the SL410 and SL510 in the product lineup on the Lenovo web site and now you do a search on there site and can't even find it existed.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I find it interesting when 2 weeks ago you could find the SL410 and SL510 in the product lineup on the Lenovo web site and now you do a search on there site and can't even find it existed.

Did they come up with a new model to replace it?

Debbie25

Yep, they replaced it with the L420 and L520.
Which I briefly checked and found the L520 on the CDW site for $944..... I don't think so.

SoMeAm

Verified HP Representative
After reading your post, I was curious about the list--how was it determined? However, when I reread it, I saw the criteria--Costco. Yes, your husband has a good point about the advantages of purchasing from Costco--90 day return policy and 2 year warranty whereas for many consumer notebooks the standard manufacturer's warranty is only one year. The HP's are excellent notebooks:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...Desc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&topnav=

DMGrier

VIP Member
I just bought a Vaio, it seems to be a pretty nice quality. I bought one cause I have had several friends with them and they seemed to last on average of 4-6 years. One of the guys I know had a Vaio from about 6 years ago and last year it dropped from one of our control units here on the ship in the engine room. It was about a 5-6' drop and he picked it up and it booted up with no problem and no damage to the screen other then a crack in the case.

FXB

Why is soMe only posting to endorse HP isn't that agaisnt forum rules?

I agree with most of what everyone said. Thinkpads are a good choice but don't look so great (Who cares it's a computer) HP Probooks are solid and the higher end toshiba's as well.

For those arguing about a super sturdy laptop go get a panasonic toughbook.