What must one do to be able to use a wireless adapter in Windows 2000?

andrewanimation

I just bought a friend of mine a "NEW Tiny USB 2.0 Bluetooth EDR Dongle Wireless Adapter" off eBay, in hopes that she can then use the adapter to attempt to use any free signal for her to be able to have internet access until she can get her own service, as she's having problems with her previous provider at the moment. But I just wonder, will she simply be able to plug it into her USB and, if there's an internet signal available in the area, (the item says the range is up to 100m), will the internet just, bam, start working? I use Windows 7, which I know is great with internet connectivity, it makes it very clear and easy, but she has a very old computer (and no, she can't afford a new one) that still uses Windows 2000! The item description says the device is compatible with Windows 2000, but, considering the fact that the adapter doesn't come with any sort of software, I'd just like to be prepared and ask what one must do to use such a wireless adapter on old Windows 2000? My memory tells me that using a wireless adapter with Windows XP wasn't easy.
Thanks!

ganzey

banned
you need a wifi adapter, what you bought is a blue tooth adapter. i dont think that it can pick up wifi signals

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It all depends if windows 2000 has a native driver for that wireless adapter which I highly doubt. I'm surprised that it didn't come with software so you might have to download the driver to a flash drive and install it that way.

CrayonMuncher

i had to use windows 2000 for wireless it can be a pain you will need wifi adapter not a Bluetooth adapter to pick up wireless signal ( unless you have some sort of Bluetooth router)
windows 2000 has no native support for bluetooth and you will need 3rd party software to able to use it
another annoying point i found out about windows 2000 it will not support WPA encryption of any type as microsoft never released any kind of support for it, it maybe possible but it will complicated to setup, may have to use wep encryption

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I'm not sure what you're after here... it sounds like you're trying to actually connect to the internet with a Bluetooth dongle. But no, that will *not* work. You can't connect wirelessly to the internet with Bluetooth, not even with WiFi; until she gets the service with her new ISP sorted out, she simply won't be having any access to internet.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
i believe there are wireless bluetooth routers out there and there is a small chance that the op has one
He still won't be able to connect to the internet with it, assuming that I got the OP right and he's actually trying it to get to pick up wireless internet signal.

CrayonMuncher

yeah thats what i assumed the op is trying to use wifi, i swear you must be able to configure bluetooth to access the internet as they are blue tooth wireles access points out there, ive been looking at this

http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-BLUE-RR.html

which seems to be a router for internet access via bluetooth

i do agree that it is very unlikely that the op has this tho