what settings for GTA IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoroth

banned
ok i have a radeon 6870, i get lag, but not constant lag, just lag spikes. what settings should i use? in at catalys? here are the options:

anti-aliasing
2X, 4X, 8X

anisotropic filtering
2X, 4X, 8X, 16X

tessellation
2X,4X, 6X, 8X, 16X 32X, 64X

catalyst A.I.
performance, quality, high quality

Wait for vertical refresh
always off, off unless application spesifies, on unless application spesifies, always on

anti-aliasing mode
multi-sample AA, adaptive multi-sample AA, super-sample AA

openGL settings
triple buffering tick/ untick

mrjack

VIP Member
Is it more like a brief lag every 3-5 seconds? I may have had the same issue and though it didn't fix it for me I came across advice to disable Hyper-Threading in the BIOS. Disabling HT did however help with stuttering in Battlefield 3, so go figure. There are a bunch of threads on the subject of stuttering on multiple forums. Some suggested fixes include:
-disable HT
-disable HT and 2 cores
-limit FPS via adding command line arguments to the GTA IV shortcut
-restrict memory via command line...

It's been a while since I tried playing GTA IV, but I have a vague recollection of MLAA having an effect on the stuttering. That may have been specific to the driver version I was using at that time or I may remember incorrectly.

Threads on this subject:
Steam
GTAForums #1
GTAForums #2

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

You should really stick to only opening one thread about this, try what mrjack has suggested and then try what i suggested in the other thread.

88Jonsson

This game must have something against the I7s or something because I run the game flawlessly on high settings...

mrjack

VIP Member
This game must have something against the I7s or something because I run the game flawlessly on high settings...

It certainly isn't the only one. Quite a few games seem to have issues with Hyper Threading (for example stuttering in Battlefield 3).

adman101

This game must have something against the I7s or something because I run the game flawlessly on high settings...[/QU

Jonsson i see you have almost the exact set up as me but not the mobo. is there any changes you did to the software or anything else to get you parts running welll????

adman101

It certainly isn't the only one. Quite a few games seem to have issues with Hyper Threading (for example stuttering in Battlefield 3).

mrjack also has the same set up as me and this might help the thread. how are you getting good performance with the xfx 6870 as mine has gone down

Danoroth

banned
mrjack also has the same set up as me and this might help the thread. how are you getting good performance with the xfx 6870 as mine has gone down

I max out bf3 campaign and online with 25-30fps and I can have it on high with about 60fps but GTA stutters even on low? But I once made it stop and it was smooth, and also when I try to overclock my GPU the screen goes black and it comes back on and everything lags.

linkin

VIP Member
GTA IV is very CPU, RAM and vRAM intensive. The ideal config for GTA IV is the most beastly CPU money can buy, 4GB+ RAM, and a powerful GPU with 2GB of VRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.