what specification do i need to match when replacing cpu?

theBLACKout

hi, i want to upgrade my laptop cpu, i want to know what specification do i need to match for my new cpu compare to my current cpu?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Specifically the socket, but many older laptops did not have any type of socket. The processor was either soldered to the board or it used some special CPU board.

theBLACKout

sorry i have so many questions, im new to this. my current cpu,t5550, has 667 fsb while i want to upgrade to a new p8600 which has 1066fsb, can i do this?

smoothjk

Generally, laptops are very restricted as far as what you can upgrade (other than RAM, hard drive, and some add-ons).

I don't know about your model, but I wouldn't be surprised if a CPU change was impossible. That's what desktops are for. =P

Of course, I could be wrong. My laptop is 3+ years old.

Jamin43

banned
Generally, laptops are very restricted as far as what you can upgrade (other than RAM, hard drive, and some add-ons).

I don't know about your model, but I wouldn't be surprised if a CPU change was impossible. That's what desktops are for. =P

Of course, I could be wrong. My laptop is 3+ years old.

Can be challenging to get inside too. RAM and HDD are easy upgrades - but I had an old Dell in my closet for years collecting dust. FOr education purposes - I decided to disassemble it and look inside. HDD - Battery - RAM - Monitor were pretty easy with online guides to get everything out. AFter that it was brute force ripping things apart.... :D

I don't know if I even saw the CPU before I gave up. AFter that experience - I'll stick to desktops for any upgrading - and if I need a laptop - buy what I need at the time of purchase.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Assuming the sockets are the same, you should be fine. However, I don't know if the laptop would accept your new CPU due to the different bus speeds and all. Plus, the BIOS in laptops isn't made to be as upgradable as say desktops. Many times a laptop may be able to handle the hardware, but the bios was never upgraded to handle a new processor. I know this was the case with my old Averatec.

theBLACKout

at this moment, i want to replace my t5550 with t8300. i chose 8300 over p8600 because t8300 only has 800mhz bus speed compare to p8600 1066mhz(i know higher bus speed is better, but i think my laptop is more likely to accept 800mhz since t5550 only has 667 mhz bus speed) and i was reading customer review on t8300 and a lot of people has t5450 and they upgraded to t8300 and they say it worded great. what do u guys think? just one more thing, p8600 has higher bus speed than t8300, but it is still cheaper, they are both 2.4 gzh and 3mb cache, why is this?