What would be a good option...

hdansjr

so what is a good OS option for an older couple, early 60s, who do nothing but look at pics of a grandchild, play solitare, and surf once a week? I'm asking this for my parents. the semi-geek in me is saying get XP, but i dont' know if i should just let them purchase Vista. The only thing is, to get XP, it seems that I would have to get a PC made, versus, them just buying a "bundle" package from a big box retailer. They currently have my old compaq from late 1997 which has 98 on it, and a 15 inch CRT. THey don't use it that much, i'm just afraid Vista may be too much for them to handle, they had a hard time using the machine running 98. Oh, it died on them last week, thats why they want a new one. So should they go with Vista or XP? I'd like to hear input. thanks.

Cooner750

I would probably lean towards XP. It would allow you to not have to waste more money on hardware than necessary to run it, like Vista would.

I used XP on a Pentium III Coppermine @ 1GHz machine, with 512MB RAM for over a year. Did everything I needed it to do at the time.

hdansjr

The only problem I'm seeing is that my parents, god love them, want the computer NOW. So they found this bundle on a pretty nice Vista machine with a printer and LCD monitor for just over 550 at circuitcity. I'm just afraid of vista because of everything i've read and heard. Maybe that's the geek in me. BUt maybe i'm over analyzing thi9s and I should just let them get the Vista package.

Runn3r.cze

so i think its better to get a new system (vista) with new computer...
or if you want to save some money, you can get linux... it's free and if you choose some good distro it's also easy to use