What's the best free antivirus?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Get rid of AVG and use Avast. AVG is malware in itself. It used to be a good program years ago.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You register with your name and email address and you get it for free for a year. After that all you have to do is reregister every year to get it for free. Make sure you uninstall all those extra tools like software updater and grime fighter and the rest.

spirit

Staff member
Get rid of AVG and use Avast. AVG is malware in itself. It used to be a good program years ago.

Very true. Recently had a Sony Vaio to clean it. It was obviously infected but AVG Internet Security kept saying it was clean. Ran Malwarebytes and even MSE and they found a lot of stuff that AVG didn't. Machine magically started working correctly again. :rolleyes:

Useless. If I remember correctly, version 8.0 or 9.0 was the last decent one.

Homenet

Personally I would go for Panda Cloud. Cloud based antivirus, very effective and extremely low resource footprint (i.e. it consumes very few resources compared to other AV programs.) Compliment that with Malwarebytes and you should be good to go!

Jigno

As other says go with Avast. I also used AVG before and always had problems because it can't detect every malware and virus which tries to infect your machine..

Agent Smith

It all depends on the user with anti-virus software. One software may work for one person while the other may not work for you. I don't run any on the desktop since it's mostly for gaming. Avira is crap and if you want to uninstall you have to use safe mode and their remover. I used to use Avira, but not after I had trouble. I tried almost every single anti-virus there is and I'm happy with Bitdefender Free. Like Panda Cloud it's cloud based. I had problems with Panda cloud though. My netbook uses Clamwin, I had tried Clamwin on my Win 7 laptop and it wasn't working right, but it works in XP alright.

On my laptop I use Sanboxie for the browser, have Comodo Firewall installed and Bitdefender free.

The scanners I use are: Herdprotect, Malwarebytes, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, Adwcleaner and TDsskiller. If you have malware run Rkill first.

Last edited: