When To Buy?

ducis

when do you guys think would be the next ideal time for me to upgrade my GPU?
I'm not in too much of a hurry to upgrade because right now my x1950xt is serving me okay, but I definitely want to get rid of it soon.

(Xfire compatible cards would be nice)

Droogie

The movement of GPU technology does seem like it's going to stop or slow down any time soon, so why not upgrade now.

PC eye

banned
Once you start looking at the latest cards out plan on replacing the board as well in order to see the full value. The latest out are PCI-E 2.0 while you are still with a 1.1 board.

XFire isn't that demanding on cards but merely an interface for multiple gaming servers. The home page through about.com can be seen at http://internetgames.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=internetgames&cdn=gadgets&tm=18&gps=33_1597_1436_688&f=10&su=p284.9.336.ip_p504.1.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.xfire.com/

mr_choung

wait maybe a month or so, the 4850's will be near the 120-140 range i hope. i might even have one for sale although i don't have 100post yet ;*(

elitehacker

Most ATi cards out there is crossfire capable anyway. I think the most optimal time to buy is at least four to five months after a major release, to wait to see if there are any major problems with the card and also for the price to go down. If there are any major bugs or problems then you can avoid that card, and also the wait goes time for reviewers to thoroughly review the card and give their opinons. Also aim for mid high range as the flagship cards are usually overpriced.

PC eye

banned
Sometimes it isn't the card but the Catalyst that sees a problem. When first getting the Radeon HD 2600XT 512mb model here the 7.9 on the software disk was buggy!

The patch released wasn't any real help. The 7.10 then better yet 7.11 versions cleared things up. At the present time the 3800s have been out for some time and have seen some newer versions of the Catalyst C.C. come out. The 2000s like the 2400s, 2600s, and 2900s are the last line of PCI-E 1.1 type cards for AMD's ATI line however.