Votes: 297 39.7%
  • PowerPC

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

justinmmm690

I am using Intel P4 650 3.4GHz
It is amazing. AMD might have a better front side bus but look at intel great speeds in the business for a really long time, tons of L2 Cache and HT tech.

AMD has a really sucking con- Integrated Memory Controller that dosen't support DDR2.

ckfordy

banned
It is amazing. AMD might have a better front side bus but look at intel great speeds in the business for a really long time, tons of L2 Cache and HT tech.

AMD has a really sucking con- Integrated Memory Controller that dosen't support DDR2.

The Athlon 64s are better then the pentium 4s in alot of stuff. Lots of L2 Cache doesnt mean a thing and the HT technology sucked. And for your information AMD has its new processors out with Socket AM2 and the memory controller which is really good supports DDR2. Next time do your research.

Geoff

VIP Member

AMD's Athlon 64 line are far superior to the Pentium 4 line, and thier X2 line is also far superior to the Pentium D line. The only thing Intel has going for it is the HT.

And AMD does support DDR2, it's called socket AM2.

justinmmm690

I have completed My research

Your right. But HT tech is amazing I can comfortably watch t.v. and use internet and run e-trust anti-virus I am going soon to see if I can get an upgrade pack from dell for pentium extreme 3.73GHz. I am not upgrading to Core 2 Duo because my mobo is 1 year old and don't want to change it.

But back to the memory controllers. I did my research and yes only the older sockets can't support it.

Geoff

VIP Member
Your right. But HT tech is amazing I can comfortably watch t.v. and use internet and run e-trust anti-virus I am going soon to see if I can get an upgrade pack from dell for pentium extreme 3.73GHz. I am not upgrading to Core 2 Duo because my mobo is 1 year old and don't want to change it.

But back to the memory controllers. I did my research and yes only the older sockets can't support it.

You do know that a $183 Core 2 Duo outperforms the $1000 PEE 3.73Ghz, right? So by trying to save money, you will actually be losing money.

And a dual-core processor is much better then a processor with HT.

justinmmm690

yes but i am a beginner PC builder and i just don't want my first project to be a mobo replacement
and Pentuim Extreme Edition is Dual Core and Has HT tech.

Geoff

VIP Member
yes but i am a beginner PC builder and i just don't want my first project to be a mobo replacement
and Pentuim Extreme Edition is Dual Core and Has HT tech.

Thats true, but it still doesn't replace the fact that any Core 2 Duo will outperform it. :)

Are you sure your motherboard even supports having a 1066Mhz Bus?

slobdogg

justin, your right, the pentium d extreme edition is the best way to go. it has a higher speed then the core duo, so its faster.

bball4life

justin, your right, the pentium d extreme edition is the best way to go. it has a higher speed then the core duo, so its faster.
OH LMAO, clock speed has nothing to do with how fast a cpu is. The x6800 the extreme edition core 2 would blow away the pentium d ee, even the e6600 and e6700 would beat it, or at least be very close.

slobdogg

That doesn't matter, but they run at 2.93GHz, but they are able to do oh so much more. Look for some benchmarks if you don't believe me, but they are so much faster.

then it cant be faster. if it's running at 2.93Ghz, how can that be better then a 3.73Ghz processor?

Filip

Pentium D EE is faster in terms of GHz, but when it comes to performing a certain task, for example, video compressing/decompressing or something else, Core 2 Duo X6800 takes the trophy, not to mention it overclocks far better, runs cooler due to less voltage becouse of the new 65nm process, it's newer and most important, it's cheaper.

I suggest you to read some stickies.