Which CPU would be better for gaming?

skidude

I think im gonna get a new CPU cuz i have some extra cash from work, and the two CPU's ive narrowed down to is either the X2 4800+ or the FX-57. Which would bring me more performance in games? Thats what i use my PC for mainly.

m0nk3ys1ms

You will get great performance from either of them, but if I were choosing, I would go with the X2 4800+. It is a heck of alot cheaper, and will be just as good in the long run.

Last edited:

jimmymac

VIP Member
Yo-Yo said:
Unfortunatly, Both are dual core. :)
I would get the FX-57

errr no, the FX-60 was the first dual core of the fx range.

as mentioned before i would go with the X2 purely for the difference in price, believe that x2 is 2.4ghz and the fx chip is 2.8ghz. I'm sure with a little overclocking you could get fairly close to the speed of the fx-57 except it would be a dual core version instead :D

ckfordy

banned
skidude said:
I think im gonna get a new CPU cuz i have some extra cash from work, and the two CPU's ive narrowed down to is either the X2 4800+ or the FX-57. Which would bring me more performance in games? Thats what i use my PC for mainly.

Neither i would get the Core 2 Duo E6600.

jimmymac

VIP Member
monkeysims said:
If he did that he would have to change his entire rig, not just the CPU.

which overall would also cost a lot more money than a cpu upgrade if he goes for the x2 :)

skidude

jimmymac said:
errr no, the FX-60 was the first dual core of the fx range.

as mentioned before i would go with the X2 purely for the difference in price, believe that x2 is 2.4ghz and the fx chip is 2.8ghz. I'm sure with a little overclocking you could get fairly close to the speed of the fx-57 except it would be a dual core version instead :D

Ya I just checked again the X2 is almost $300 cheaper :eek: I was just asking which one because FX's have a great gaming reputation and i havent really heard much about X2's in the gaming department.

Iluvpenguins

Trust me,either one of them will be just perfect for gaming...The FX is defnintely the better choice for a gaming rig,but the X2 Is dual core,so it is good for alotta multi tasking,gaming or anything really.So the X2 is the better choice.Did i also mention its way cheaper?

rahving

This entire forum needs a sticky that says "Read this before posting."

The message in that thread should read as follows:

If you have any processor question whatsoever, the answer is "Just get a Conroe," regardless of what the actual question dealing with processors was. Maybe then people would stop or at least cut back on posting that crap in everyone's threads.

I fully realize Conroe processors are tops right now and will be for awhile, but people have varying budgets and intentions of using their pc. The big one being the budget.

If someone asked the forum to spec out a build for them with a budget of say $800usd (tower only), I would be the first one to recommend a Conroe build, let alone if the budget was $1200usd+.

Now if someone is asking which of two AMD processors are "better," just answer the damn question. Some people are confused enough as it is when picking out a computer build, the last thing they need is people blurting out crap when they don't even really know the inquirer's situation.

sniperchang

Ok
E6400 + Motherboard = $351
FX-57 = $649

He has you there...

It seems that would be another option.

thats besides the point,he wants to upgrade,not build a new computer....so conroe is outta the question.

It is an upgrade :p , true that would take more effort to work, but the guy is just making a another option for skidude ;) .

However, between the X2 4800 and FX-57, in my opinion the X2 4800 would be better because the price to performance ratio is better than the FX-57.

Last edited:

fade2green514

for $649 i could build a very decent computer... and with a light overclock to... say 3ghz with a core 2 duo e6300 you could instantly have a computer thats much better than the one he has.
i mean to be serious people are not only passively cooling these processors at stock frequency, but theyre also overclocking to 3.4ghz and above quite easily. its so ridiculous, im getting an e6400 just because its got an extra number added to its multiplier... thats how high these things overclock.

skidude

Ya I just dont want to go through the hassle of replacing my mobo... plus I want to keep my crossfire one since I think that im gonna go crossfire at christmas. Also, the price of an X2 4800+ alone is less than the Conroe and a brand new mobo..... the options make my head spin but i think im gonna save the cash and go with the X2 and use the extra money to buy somethin else.