Which drive should I use to rip CD?

cg1349

banned
I have a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD burner drive. My question is, which drive should I use to rip CDs into mp3, wav, etc. I noticed the DVD-ROM drive rips faster than the DVD burner. Is that good or bad? I'm guessing a slower rip would yield more accurate results. Another question, my CD ripping software has a setting called "Smoothing when reading from CD." What does that actually do? Does it improve the sound quality of the music being ripped? I know it's a lot of questions, but I got a new MP3 player and I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible CD rips.

Come on people, don't just read. Reply! Tell me what you use for CD ripping!

Last edited:

paratwa

I'm getting the feeling no one wants to answer, because technically what your wanting to do is illegal. (right or wrong is a different question) Something they frown on here. And since I am new on the boards, who am I to break the rules.

I would suggest reading the laws about ripping music.

But, that being said. Use either one, it really don't matter. You can burn from the dvd-rom to the dvd-rw or from either one to your harddrive and then to your player. Good idea is to slow things down when ripping, at least half the speed of what the disk is rated at. That way you have less of a chance of getting errors.

Verve

Don't know what you're talking about, ripping a CD is not illegal.

Any drive, CD-Rom, DVD-Rom or whatever will read the disk and be able to rip it. I would suggest something like Realplayer to rip to Mp3, as WMP will always try and get you to use .wma which you couldn't use in something like Movie Maker if you're making a video.

paratwa

Don't know what you're talking about, ripping a CD is not illegal.

Depends on what you intend to do with the rip, that's what can make it illegal. Is it illegal to make a copy of a Store bought DVD? Yes, even if your just making a backup. It don't matter.

Verve

Depends on what you intend to do with the rip, that's what can make it illegal. Is it illegal to make a copy of a Store bought DVD? Yes, even if your just making a backup. It don't matter.

ok, first of all he said nothing about DVD discs, he wants to rip his mp3 audio discs, which is perfectly ok, how else could one load them onto an iPod or Zen etc? Second, you cannot rip a DVD without a certain piece of software that is itself illegal, so that's not what he's intending to do. Dang man, all he wants to do is put his music on his computer!

cg1349

banned
I'm not doing anything illegal, all I want to do is rip music from my favorite CDs and convert them to MP3 and transfer them to my mp3 player. That's it.