Which is faster?

massahwahl

VIP Member
I'm trying to gather up some pc parts to sell and I have 2 wireless G adapters and only need one of them. The first is a linksys wireless G PCI-E and the other is a Belkin USB adapter. Right now I'm using the Belkin but was curious if the linksys would be faster or if there would be no difference in the end.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The linksys would be faster. Anything usb would be slower, plus usb makes processor work harder.

saba.jamalian

Yes. I agree too !
Anything USB is slower.

but johnb35, have you heard anything about USB version 3? I dont know if it is out yet or not, but i`ve heard it has a speed of 10 Gb/s . This may cause 1394 ports to discontinue !

massahwahl

VIP Member
I ran speedtests using both adapters and to be honest, the results very similar. The USB was slower, but it was within 2.5 Mbs of one another. I have an older mobo though so is it possible that the pci-e port is slower or somethin? I've had nothing but issues with linksys drivers on this pc too, and the belkin has the long cable so I can set it where I get a stronger signal, so I think I'm going to stick with the belkin.

FairDoos

Yes. I agree too !
Anything USB is slower.

but johnb35, have you heard anything about USB version 3? I dont know if it is out yet or not, but i`ve heard it has a speed of 10 Gb/s . This may cause 1394 ports to discontinue !

1. USB 3.0 isnt even out yet.
2. 1394 Wont discontinue it will just be upgraded.

tlarkin

VIP Member
1. USB 3.0 isnt even out yet.
2. 1394 Wont discontinue it will just be upgraded.

The new iMacs I just got at work have FW800 ports, and I just target mode booted one into another to make a quick netboot installer, holy smokes is FW800 FAST!!!!!

FairDoos

The new iMacs I just got at work have FW800 ports, and I just target mode booted one into another to make a quick netboot installer, holy smokes is FW800 FAST!!!!!

Ha niceee i havent tried FW800 i might just have to go and have a peak ;)

ETSA

I have a belkin wireless N router and have had no issues with it, it also has quite a few nice features as well.