Which linux

Arm_Pit3

I am Currently Dual booting Windows XP Pro, and PC Linux OS, I would like to Tri boot another version of linux. I have not been useing this linux and dual booting for even a week yet, but I am liking linux alot, I have a 300gb harddrive with not even a full 200gb formated so i have plently of room.

I was thinking of trying a gnome based linux since PC Linux OS is kde, so i could try something new.

There are a few things I'm looking for.

1.Speed
2.EASY installtion. I liked the PC Linux OS install, just boot of the live CD to the actull linux OS, and then click the install icon on the desktop and go though the wizerd. It was easy, which I like since i have hardly any exp in this.

3.Can Tri boot with my current LILO(auto installed when i was installing PC Linux OS) Easiley, or can use a new boot manger but will work and come up with windows and pc linux os too.

Also I wouldn't mind Quad-booting either and trying two mroe linux distro's. So Recomend me what you can. I would like to try at least one Gnome based just to see what its like.

If any happen to come with any program that can run exacutables from windows, such as games that would be GREAT too. AMD, 32 bit stem.

Veurruckte

My favorite Distro's are FreeBSD (Not actually Linux, probably better though) and Slackware. No offense intended, but most people on this forum have only used easier and more popular distros such as Fedora Core 4. I've tried many many distros and have never found a better all around distro than Slackware or FreeBSD.

I'm not sure if Wine is included with Slackware 10.2. It's easy enough to download and install. I wouldn't count on it running games however. There's special emulators designed for gaming; which you have to pay for. Just use Windows for gaming and *nix for everything else. Your Windows installation will be much more stable, and you won't have to deal with the loss of perfomance which comes with emulation.

Good luck.

duane534

FreeBSD hardware support... Ick.

Fedora Core is easy. That doesn't make it bad. And, it's the only thing that'll push Linux above 10% market share.

Try juegaLinux. It's a distro just for gaming. Comes with clones of Windows games, emulators for consoles, MP3 support, all kinds of fun stuff...

mrjack

VIP Member
I actually think SuSe Pro 9.3 or higher would be quite good to test. It's easy to install and supports most of the hardware available. Took me a while to install and update 9.3 but it was worth it. Don't use it much right now though, got back to gaming although I could have gotten Cedega.

WARNING!
SuSe Pro 9.3 is a 5 CD set or 1 DVD, is quite large.

weaponsguy007

Mandriva

Mandriva is my favourite linux, and the installation is really easy. I believe it can be tri booted, though not quite sure. You are also able to choose which graphics you would like, KDE or GNOME.:D

hongtao

Mandriva is my favourite linux, and the installation is really easy. I believe it can be tri booted, though not quite sure. You are also able to choose which graphics you would like, KDE or GNOME.:D

are you talking about mandriva ppk? i m using Mandriva One, only KDE is available.

Mandriva PPK(power pack) is not free but got different versions(both 32 and 64), better language support and some commercial software.
Mandriva One is free fo downloading form the official site.

Actually I recommand Ubuntu, a quite sophisticated linux distribution. The one i was using is 7.04 with Gnome, quite stable and fast