WIndows 10 While using my laptop today the screen displayed message "Boot Device Not Found,Please install an operating system on your hard disk,Hard Disk-(3F0)"

IBerwin

I have an unusual laptop, HP Model 17-by3065st. It has both a SSD and a HDD. The boot disk is the 125 GB SSD drive that has the operating system on it, but it also has a 1TB HDD with everything else on it, mainly storage.
This morning my wife was on facebook when suddenly the screen blinked and there was just a dark blue screen with the message, "Boot Device Not Found." Next line says," Please install an operating system on your hard disk". Next line says. "Hard Disk" - (3F0)" .
Then the next line says, "F2 System Diagnostics"
I used the arrow keys to highlight "F2 System Diagnostics" and entered "Test Drive". It says "PASSED". Then I did the full test and it also says "PASSED", but it took 2 hours, which indicates to me that it's probably checking the 1TB HDD instead of the 125GB SDD drive with the operating system on it.
So the computer still just goes to the dark blue screen when I turn it on and shows the same message.

I tried all the suggestions on youtube, nothing there worked.
Any ideas what I should do?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Even though the the OS is installed on the ssd, it's possible the boot files are on the mechanical hard drive. You will have to boot to a test utility to scan both drives if you think it's only testing the hdd.

IBerwin

I made a boot drive. It can see the data 1 TB HDD but not the C: drive, the 128 GB SSD drive. I guess it's dead.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure power and data cables are attached securely to the SSD. Try a different SATA connector from the power supply or even a new sata cable. I haven't seen a 128 gb SSD in quite some time. That must be getting quite old at this point.

Couriant

@johnb35 the SSD is not a SATA drive, but a NvME looking drive since this is a laptop.

I would recommend reseating the SSD Drive then try again, if it works, then chances are the drive will slow down and then die on you (as it did for my user's dell machine... the drive worked for about 2 minutes before not showing in BIOS)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c08119882.pdf is the Hardware Guide. Page 45. If the link does not work and you use Chrome, right click it and click Save Link As. Once done, it will show unsecure file, click keep.