WHO Has not upgraded to a dual core

heyman421

banned
Why not Core 2 Duo?

Just to let you know, it doesn't quite work that way :). First of all, the Ghz doesn't add up with multi-core processors. Secondly, Ghz doesn't matter nearly as much now as it did a few years ago.

Oh.... :(

i'm reading, and learning..............

my current computer is getting glitchier and glitchier, and i'm out of warranty now (hardware glitches, not software glitches)

but i'm super paranoid about doing ANY upgrades until vista x64 comes out, or xp64 gets more software support, but i feel i need to upgrade sooner than later.

I of course haven't decided on a processor yet, i'm just blown away by the progress that's been made in the 2 years since i bought my curent computer.

Ram alone has doubled in speed, and in price :)

And who's ever heard of $1000+ processors in the last 5 years? There's a scary margin of performance now.

When i bought my last computer, all you had to pick from was a pentium 3.6 or an AMD 3200+

now there's single core, dual core, quad core, and 64-bit makes the choice even more difficult.

there's even chips with the same clock and different FSB speeds.

computer buying is becoming a more and more difficult decision. if it weren't for this forum, i wouldn't know what to do.

In fact, even with this forum, i have no idea what to do :(

Last edited:

skidude

I have one yes, but honestly I cannot tell the difference in performance yet.... maybe in Oblivion but nothing else really.

4W4K3

VIP Member
I haven't.

Why? - No reason to. My current computer does everything I need...it's actually excess in alot of areas.

My Athlon XP 2400+ does the job pretty well, So I'm not going to 'fix' something that isn't broken.. :)

Exactly my thoughts. I wish I still had my SocketA system to tinker with. My little Athlon XP-M 2600+ was so fun, I had alot of fun overclocking it. If only my motherboard would have been as flexible.

Last edited:

Jon

i havnt got one, no point spending money on things that arent necessary. i even game on my laptop and it is fine.

Jon

battlefield 1942
joint operations (similar requirements to BF2)
dawn of war

thats it at the moment but i will prob get some better games when i get more RAM

ducis

Ive got a single core P4 prescott stockclocked @3Ghz with a 800MHz FSB
but im going to build a socket AM2+ anguela rig with direct X 10 in Q3 this year

Sacrinyellow5

I have ghetto tri-core. I have 3 different computers doing three different things at one time, so in sense I have it. I’m still debating on when I’ll actually upgrade. I don’t play computer games that much and the ones I do are not very graphic intensive. I’d need it for my job more than anything, but I’m doing fine with what I have.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Well after seeing most ppeople on this forum have dual core its hard to pick out the single core people,

Who on this forum has not got a dual core processor and why,

also with at least 512mb of ram
Single core here, and happy.
I don't need it, Christian. My lowly Socket A Athlon XP works just fine for all I do: audio editing, DVD compression, Folding@Home, MP3 work, graphics work, spreadsheets, word processing, internet work... and I have a gig of RAM, too. No programs I use need dual cores; I'm not a gamer.
Tom

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
Well i just got given a Turion to put into my aging socket 754 system; i dont have the money for a new system.

I'm currently saving for a Acer Aspire 9800 or 9810 series system