Why are LGA 775 mobos more than AM2?

falcon_fan

I'm building a computer for under $700, but I can't go with Core 2 Duo, because for a reasonable LGA 775 you have to spend 100 bucks. With AMD x2 you can get one for 60 or so. I just don't understand why LGA 775 are so much more. I understand they have a little bit more FSB, but it shouldn't cost 25% more, in my opinion.

If you can get a motherboard for around $75 please tell me.

You can get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135022
for 77 bucks, but it only 1.8v 5 or 6 CAS timing. That would significantly reduce the amount of RAM you can choose from.

ADE

banned
Because for good ones you overclock with them. Those LGA 775 are a lot of $$$ because it takes good parts and a good BIOS to do so, and since Core 2 Duo use that socket and are very overclockable, they mix well, and if you can overclock, then you get sooooo much more for your money. Like me, I have a Core 2 duo that stock runs 1.84GHz, I overclock it to 3GHz and bam, I got a lot more for my money. See what I mean?

ADE

banned
I'm a 15 year old that is intrested in computers in general.
I want to build my first barebones kit and I thought a site like this would be helpful.
I'm not much of a "forum junkie", so don't expect me to be a top poster.
I hope you guys can help, and I hope I can help later in my computer career.

Good way of looking at things. Well you wanted an answer to your question, why are LGA775 more expensive, there you go.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you don't need DDR2-800. It doesn't make that much of a difference.

If you absolutely need DDR2-800, you could go with a GA-965P-S3 ($107 on newegg)

falcon_fan

I think there should be a project done to research whether it is more cost effective to add RAM, increase RAM speed, increase processor speed, increase HD speed, etc. All in a performance to money ratio.

You see, I don't know how much DDR2-800 vs 667 is going to increase speed. That is why I think a computer site should do a study measuring speed, stability, etc.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
3dmark-1.png

For example, the results of DDR2-533 and DDR2-1067 differ by only 5-10%, i.e. installing the twice faster memory leads to a negligible performance increase even in games.

You can read the full thing here. This is just a RAM speed/timings test, not different amounts of memory however.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
All the results are very close together. There's a 35 someodd point difference from the 'slowest' RAM to the fastest. All results have an error range, that's just the way it works when this stuff is measured. Running the test again would net slightly different results.

elitehacker

LGA775 is more expensive because Intel CPUs are better than AMD ones. :p But that is ALL purely my opinion, at the moment the X6800 rocks, no AMD comes close.