Why do I need my ISP ID and password in my network router ?

clocert

I am in the process of installing a new network router (N,300MBPS). During the installation process , it asks me to put in my (AT&T DSL) ISP ID and Password, I don't remember them any more since that was installed two years ago. I can call AT&T to find out, but just wonder why do I need ISP ID and password in the router ? Can someone tell me how the router work, If I put in a wrong one in , is it going to work ? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to enter the isp user name and password unless you want the router to sign into your account using pppoe. Just make sure the internal IP of the router isn't the same as the IP of your modem. For example, if the modem IP is 192.168.1.254 then make sure you change the IP of router to 192.168.2.1

clocert

Thanks for the reply. But when you said 'you want the router to sign into your account using pppoe', What is this really mean ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Having the router use pppoe is only when you have the modem in bridged mode, which most people never use. So don't worry about it.

clocert

I have one follow up question, While installing the network router, one panel asked me to choose (1) Dynamic, (2) Static, or (3) PPPoE, which one should I use ? I have AT&T DSL at home, this net router is for my home network. Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to use the setup install. I always manually install the router. What exact router do you have?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I've looked in the manual of your router. Leave it set at auto detect. You should automatically have internet unless you need to change the internal IP of the router so it don't conflict with the modem.