Why does the fps go below 60 in Battlefield4?

Robert P

My system - Core2 Quad Q9550 oc'd to 3.6ghz, running on a GA EP45 DS3L board, PNY SSD, Asus GTX770 DirectCU II OC 2gb gpu, Ultra X4 850 watt psu, Win7 x64.

I have the fps throttled to 60 with a config file. I only have it running at 1360 x 768 since I'm currently using a 720p HDTV as my monitor. With the quality settings at high, AA post at low or medium, AA deferred off, HBAO off, I find the fps generally ranges between about 45 and 60. According to the GPU Tweak monitoring app the GPU load never goes above about 45% or so, so why doesn't the fps stay pinned at 60 if the GPU isn't even breathing hard?

fade2green514

try checking cpu usage. cpu usage tends to be less dependent on graphics settings, and battlefield uses lots of cpu.

spirit

Staff member
I loved Core 2 Quads and all but for the record your Q9550's performance (at stock at least) is comparable to an i3 2100 from 2011, see http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/50?vs=289 in fact the i3 is faster in most of those benchmarks (usually lower is better). I know you have overclocked your Q9550 to 3.6GHz but even still it's bottlenecking your system. An upgrade to a newer platform with an i5 would be a big upgrade for you!

spirit

Staff member
Probably because your CPU is getting hit so much, if you lower the settings do you get higher FPS sustained for longer? If so then that would suggest there is a bottleneck in your system.

tylerjrb

Are both GPU cables plugged in? Updated GPU drivers etc? The CPU isnt quite bottlenecking but it isnt far off. Is it similar with other games or just battlefield on the GPU usage?

Ive had a GTX 770 in the past and it didnt have much a problem with high-ultra settings with battlefield 4 1080p so the card is definately powerful enough.

Download Furmark and ensure that the GPU itself can be stressed fully as ive had problems in the past where my GPU wouldnt go over a certain power usage untill changes to settings were made.

Install, open and run the stress test. Have afterburner or GPU-Z open at the same time so you can monitor the GPU usages. Task manager aswell to monitor the CPU to see if it bottlenecks.
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5462-furmark.html

As spirit has stated a upgrade to an i5 system would sort it. Either that or get a good cooler and overclock the CPU further if you dont have the cash.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Remove the config file and set it to default firstly. Secondly ensure you have latest chipset, display and Windows updates and update Direct X.

A good way to know that it's the CPU that is bottlenecking is if the fps plummets when you go outside in the game. It will do this to everyone, but if you go inside and get 50+ FPS then outside with <10FPS , you're bottlenecking is the CPU.

fade2green514

you likely won't hit 100% across all cores. that's not how games work really. task allocation is done in realtime as they come to the system, so its not like a scientific calculation where it already has the next operation queued up in line to stress the cpu accordingly. you could TURN or something else could happen and the cpu could NEED to process a whole different operation.

that being said i still say the cpu looks pretty well maxed out, for gaming. look at it this way. if it were a dual core you'd be sitting at like 25-30 fps lol

of course there will be dips in cpu usage. that doesn't necessarily mean that your fps will go up either. even bf4 is based off dx11

Jamebonds1

It is normally, since you have older CPU and GTX 770. If someone told you that BF4 using a lot of CPU and GPU than BF3, well they're wrong. BF4 have new design DICE to make using GPU and CPU efficiency. As said adove, you will always have dip FPS due to physic act, fire and smoke.