will using a USB extension cable work w/ a wired mouse?

demonikal

I was just wondering if I use a USB 3.0 female to male extension cable (probably about 10 feet or so) with my Logitech G9x wired laser mouse, if it will still work:confused:

Or if a wired mouse can only work being directly hooked up to the PC/laptop. I'd be using mine with my PC.

beers

Staff member
Should be fine. I used a Deathadder 2013 and G100s via the extension cable (probably 2m) on my desk without any noticeable differences or reliability issues.

You could always try it out first hand anyway ;)

demonikal

Thanks beers. I'll poke around to see if I have an extension cable anywhere, even if it's just a foot or so long (30 cm). I'll let you know what the results are.

Darren

Staff member
You should be fine. Might have a teeny tiny increase in latency, but I doubt it.

Geoff

VIP Member
A USB 2.0 device can be used with a cable up to 16.4' without needing to be powered, from what I heard the guideline for USB 3.0 is 10'. Don't forget to include the cable length of the device itself.

The VCR King

I was just wondering if I use a USB 3.0 female to male extension cable (probably about 10 feet or so) with my Logitech G9x wired laser mouse, if it will still work:confused:

Or if a wired mouse can only work being directly hooked up to the PC/laptop. I'd be using mine with my PC.

My wireless mouse CAME WITH a USB extension cable to extend the range, so it should work.

demonikal

Yeah, it worked :) I don't know why I thought my Logitech G9x was USB 3.0. I guess it's cuz the last USB 3.0 extension cable I purchased was USB 3.0 for my keyboard. I really digged that mouse. I checked the Logitech website yesterday. They've got so many more mice and gaming mice. I had to go into legacy support to find information on mine.

I'm gonna order a second one tonight. I'll keep in mind the length of the wire coming off the mouse to be included in the total length coming off the USB port :)