will windows use more memory if i have more installed?

Jonesin31

I upgraded my RAM from 4gb to 8gb yesterday. I used to have about 42-50% memory useage at idle or slight internet browsing. With 8gb I am still using about 32-36% I would think since I doubled my memory it would be around 25% useage.

tremmor

goto start, right click computer and properties. How much memory does it show.
this will also show the specs mostly.

tremmor

Yes, report that too. 32 bit operating system will only see 4 gig. It will say which you have.

tremmor

Your good. from what they said here i think your memory is being reserved for the operating system. Memory vs the hd.
I say life is good.

Benny Boy

7 will keep more in memory than previous Windows. By adding memory, you might for the same tasks see more memory being used instead of swap.

@ 4gb - 46% / 4096 = 1884mb
@ 8gb - 34% / 8192 = 2785mb

Jonesin31

7 will keep more in memory than previous Windows. By adding memory, you might for the same tasks see more memory being used instead of swap.

@ 4gb - 46% / 4096 = 1884mb
@ 8gb - 34% / 8192 = 2785mb

That's what I thought. I'm running at over 5 with swtor beta and of course I never went above 4gb before.

linkin

VIP Member
Idling at 30%-50% RAM with 4GB or even 8GB is absurd! It's much too high usage for idling. I suggest you go start > msconfig > startup and disable almost everything in there, except things like firewalls and antivirus. You can do the same for the services tab as well, just hide all the microsoft ones (unless you know what they do) and disable most of the rest. I would however suggest you disable microsoft ones like remote registry. That just allows viruses and hackers a door into your system. Unless you get help via remote logons, that service is useless.

But yes, if you add more memory, windows will take some.

strollin

Win 7 and Vista both use a pre-fetch cache so the more memory you have the more the OS will allot to the cache. When an app needs more memory for something, the OS will release some of the memory used by the cache. When viewing how much memory is free, you really need to add together what is shown as Free plus what is shown as Available.