windoes 2000 problem

seanm

i think somthing serious happened to my other laptop...i cam back and it was shut off so i turned it on and while it was starting up it like started doing a disk clean-up check or somthin and it went through all thes files and like deleted 47 of em or somthing....then after it was done it restarted and now heres where the problem starts....after it restarted the screen that says windows 2000 profession like the first screen u see it goes there and then it like freezes for 30 seconds and a blue screen quickly pops up then it restarts and keeps cdoing this over and voer and over again and wont ever fully turn on...i kept doing it so i could try to read the blue screen and it says like the word "hive" and it said a file couldnt be found (i could catch the name of it) and then it said physical memory dump has been completed contact your local adminastrator or somthing...is this because of a virus and anyone know how to fix this? also is physical memory dump when ALL my stuff gets deleted??? its a dell laptop with windows 2000 professional

sam123

Ok the blue screen, what does it say? it could be an operating system problem, when it did the disk clean-up did you interfere with it at all? you need to get hold of a windows preofessional disk and use the serial number that you have used for your own machine.

check the warranty on it aswell, because if it is still in date then you should be able to send it back to them to save you self some time.

Sam

seanm

i think i have a disc at home for windows xp and 2000...but how can iut work if the computer never starts up fully?? do i just stick the disc in while its srarting up..when i get home ill take a picture of the screen so i can see what it says

foreyes

Yeah, just put the disc in when it's starting up. You'll need to make sure it boots from the CD, which is in the BIOS screen. With your laptop, you'll probably get there with F2 when the black Dell screen first shows up. You should find it in the boot sequence list, or something similar.

seanm

i found a cd at work and it says

operating systems
already installed on your computer
reinstallation cd
microsoft windows xp profesional
service pack 2
for use with new dell pc

i have a dell laptop with windows 2000 professional will this cd work on my laptop?? this cd isnt for my comp but i just wanma know if itll work.

so whjen i find the cd formy laptop at home i just stick it in then press f2 then what do i look for

foreyes

No. Well... this'll work if you want to upgrade to xp pro sp 2, although if it's not a work comp, that's technically illegal... well, it'll work provide it's the right type of dell laptop (needs the right drivers)

seanm

should i try it then? i mean, if i stick it in will it mess up the laptop? and waht doi do after i stick it in

Sophocles

VIP Member
I've seen that blue screen all to often, but usually when I pushed my system to hard trying find its over clock sweet spot. For some reason when system memory is stressed both Win2k and XP will sometimes run a chck dsk looking for errors and then it begins deleting a bunch of files that it shouldn't delete which results in a seriously corrupted operating system. When it gets to that point my experience has taught me to go for a clean reinstall of windows. If you have a laptop then it probably came with a Restore disk.

seanm

i found a disc that says drivers and utilities on the top of it...and it says for resinstalling dell latitiude system software/

is this right? now what do i do, im confused

foreyes

What you should be looking for (at least, it's like this on my Dell) is a purple-ish disc that has your OS on it. Put that it, boot up, then look for an option like "restore Windows," then just follow the directions. Good luck, mate.

seanm

ok it says the following list shoes the existing partitions and unpartitions space on this computer

Use the up and down arrow keys to sleect an item on the list. to delete a partition press d so set up windows xp on a partition press enter.

i have one partition currently with a os on it and should i delete that one ? i tried to make xp on that partition but it says since it has another os on it its not reccomended

sam123

It says that because, the computer thinks you are trying to install another operating system rather than replacing an old one, so I would install it on the same partition that the old one is on and it will over write all the old stuff, just make sure you have all the required disks you might need to get your computer going again before you do it.

you want set up windows, not repair windows

Sam