Windows 10 Fragmentation?

ttomm46

I read Win 10 auto defrags but I tried perfect disk 14 and my HD was 9% fragmented so I defragged...Worth using a defragger?

Darren

Staff member
Unless you're constantly moving stuff around and/or un/installing things you're probably fine without. Even then you're probably fine without.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
*Every* drive is going to have some degree or fragmentation; even a fresh Windows install on a brand new drive. In fact, whenever I did a fresh OS install, the first thing I did was go through 2-3 Defrag cycles just to clean everything up. Depending on the OS version, you could have upwards of 20-25% fragmentation right out of the gates.

9% (not even 1/10th) is hardly an issue, as mentioned. When things start taking a long time to open and/or the fragmentation gets to 30-35% (and even that's arguable), then it's time to force a Defrag...

...unless it's a SSD. Don't defrag an SSD - not only is it pointless, it's detrimental to the drive.

aldan

ive also found a lot of difference in the percentage of fragmentation between defragging programs.what does the windows defragger say?