Windows 10

beers

Staff member
The AMD driver problem is what's keeping from upgrading my "new" desktop.
If you have constant 'stopped responding' issues it's usually more indicative of an underlying hardware issue than the driver itself.

Darren

Staff member
For W10 and AMD here's what I'd do. I've dealt with them enough as of late.

Clean install of W10 (should be done for any W10 install)
Download latest drivers for W10 from AMD. They used to have Catalyst Control Center but they've switched to Crimson. It had a rocky start but is fine now. Just don't use the beta ones.
Disconnect from the internet
Uninstall any and all AMD drivers/related software using standard uninstall procedure for software or devices
Reboot
Install drivers using what you downloaded earlier
Just do default installation of drivers that Crimson prompts you. Disable the Rapt/Gaming Evolved software if desired. I would as it's useless really.
Reboot
Reconnect to the internet. Windows 10 shouldn't try and overwrite your drivers now. If you uninstall them while connected to the internet, it will though. Crimson should keep your drivers up to date after that.

I'm not using Crimson simply because it's a bit to aggressive with undervolting my 7970. I'm fairly certain the fan bug I got when Crimson beta launched partially fried my card and it's picky with voltage and seems a bit "crashy". I'm still using CCC, but might check out Crimson again. Leery to mess with it though since it's happy currently. It's been trouble free on several other machines of my friends that are on Windows 10 though. Few small issues that are usually game specific and being addressed.

Don't let the "AMD has crap drivers" thing get to you too much. They've been fairly good the past couple years and they're definitely making consistent progress. Just stay away from beta drivers and you should be fine. They've been pushing driver updates every few weeks and I think the newest iteration is going to be out soon with their new GPU line.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I just got done with the fresh install and installing the latest AMD drivers so we will see if the bluescreens stop. Crossing my fingers.

@Punk I'll let you know in a few days if the fresh install took care of my bluescreens.

spirit

Staff member
I do like Windows 10 but what I don't really like so much is Microsoft's way of urging those using 7 and 8.1 to upgrade. I have 8.1 on my Surface and every time I boot it up I'm just bombarded with messages telling me that Windows 10 is the best thing since sliced bread and I need to upgrade. Funnily enough I had 10 on my Surface but I went back to 8.1 because 8.1 works better on it. I really need to remove that update.

tremmor

Getting comfortable with it now. Trying to keep up with change.
Wife wont and wants windows 7 and won't change. Said its ok.
She's using a quad core and 7 pro is still good for about 4 yrs.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so I forgot that I had overclocked to 4.5ghz when I was on windows 7 and was running fine. Upgraded to 10 and kept getting bluescreens and debugging tools came up inconclusive. I removed the OC 2 days ago and haven't had any BSOD's since. Guess I'll have to start my OC procedure again.
@Punk

spirit

Staff member
Ok so I forgot that I had overclocked to 4.5ghz when I was on windows 7 and was running fine. Upgraded to 10 and kept getting bluescreens and debugging tools came up inconclusive. I removed the OC 2 days ago and haven't had any BSOD's since. Guess I'll have to start my OC procedure again.
@Punk
So since you've been running at stock everything has been OK?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes has been running fine since resetting back to stock. Gonna have to pm Stranglehold again to help me. I was happy with 4.5 ghz. Can't figure out why 10 didn't like it when 7 was fine with it.

Darren

Staff member
Might just have to start from scratch and work your way back up. Might have to do with how it handles power consumption.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone having an issue where when you have more then one tab or window open and all of a sudden one of the others become active for no apparent reason? Has happened quite a few times now.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So here is the latest chart designating how much market share each operating system has.

2016-02-01-image-13.jpg

Windows 10 has surpassed XP as the second highest OS installed on computers today. XP still has a higher share then 8.1 (XP just won't DIE!!!) and windows 7 still leads all others. I kinda wished we could see what the market share would be if 10 wasn't available yet.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone having an issue where when you have more then one tab or window open and all of a sudden one of the others become active for no apparent reason? Has happened quite a few times now.
I've gotten the occasional edge issue, nothing major though. I don't think it's as good as chrome, but I'd say it's better than Firefox. Then again I hate Firefox, so I may be a bit biased :p

spirit

Staff member
So here is the latest chart designating how much market share each operating system has.

View attachment 6808

Windows 10 has surpassed XP as the second highest OS installed on computers today. XP still has a higher share then 8.1 (XP just won't DIE!!!) and windows 7 still leads all others. I kinda wished we could see what the market share would be if 10 wasn't available yet.
Nearly 12% of the market share in less than 7 months since release. I don't think any other Windows OS has done that for a long time! Mind you, the free upgrade probably helped. ;)

I don't like WIN 10. It won't do some things I want it to do. At five deficiencies and counting. I press the buttons and nothing happens. At Voyagerfan99's suggestion, I am downgrading to WIN 8.1.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like WIN 10. It won't do some things I want it to do. At five deficiencies and counting. I press the buttons and nothing happens. At Voyagerfan99's suggestion, I am downgrading to WIN 8.1.

If you did an actual upgrade instead of actually doing a fresh install then thats most likely your problem. There are many issues when just upgrading to 10 from a previous OS but none when you actually do a clean install.