Windows 200 to Windows XP?

memoriesuntold

I just got a Dell Laptop from my mom and i plan to use it for my work. Its currently running Windows 2k and i want to put Windows XP on it. can i do this and still have to programs on it. Also will i lose things like my wireless set up and things of that sort? I really have no clue really about the matter also how would i do the upgrade just put the disc in and run it? thanks for any help in advance

SlothX311

if you upgrade to xp im pretty sure that you will loose all of your installed programs... although you will still have the ability to connect to a wireless network, provided that you have the driver for that card

memoriesuntold

thats to transfer to another computer. i just wanna use the one i dont want to need to get another one. can u please help? how do i upgrade also?

nffc10

Yeah, you can transfer them to a flash drive, then on to your Windows Xp. (I think).

Last edited:

meanman

im asuming you have recovery cds or a recovery partition for windows 2k if that is the case and you install xp you will have to get all the mobo drivers from the internet , so i would make sure you have a copy of the drivers needed for your laptop before you install xp, if the wifi is built in to the laptop then the drivers for that should be included in the mobo driver cd you have made if it is a seperate wifi card then you should have a cd with the drivers on if not download them first aswell.

memoriesuntold

the only thing that sucks about that is that i dont have a burner :( could i send the files to my psp? ;p i could do that lol if it would work. and its a dell computer so couldnt i just get the drivers off the internet?

meanman

you will have to browse dell and find your laptop then download all the drivers for it the only reason i think you should do it before installing xp is that the laptop is getting old and you might have a hard time finding the drivers for it

brinky2006

You will need to save any files you do not want to lose during the update from 2K to XP. It is the standard to backup when making any sustantial changes to a system.

You may not lose the files and programs if you do an XP update. Dont hold me to that though. Make sure you do backup.

Adam

nffc10

you will have to browse dell and find your laptop then download all the drivers for it the only reason i think you should do it before installing xp is that the laptop is getting old and you might have a hard time finding the drivers for it

Were not on about drivers for his laptop, you can get them after. He means the files and settings.

It is fairly simple to use, just click on it and it is very straight forward.