Windows 7 - 32bit or 64?

pcmagic

Wanting to put Windows 7 on my laptop but clueless to which bit?

Specs of the laptop is

HP 6735s
AMD turion x2 dual core rm-72
4GB Ram

It has 32bit vista in it at the moment but I always thought the processor was 64bit?

Any advice?
Cheers!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go 64 bit.....You will be able to use all your 4gb of ram,and you will be able to run 64bit apps because your processor is 64bit.

Theres already some 64bit software out there,ive noticed the x64 bit start up alot faster than on 32 bit.

such as Itunes x64bit,That starts faster.....winrar x64 bit (Noticed quicker decompression times)...thats just a start realy....but x64 is the way to go.

My lappy currently runs Vista X64 and its seems faster now than it did when it has Vista 32bit.

Last edited:

pcmagic

Cheeers mate.

Rather than createing a new thread for a related problem. I'm having an issue booting the OS.

It's an HP 6735s laptop, i've pressed F9 and tried to boot from upgrade bay which doesn't work, i've went into the Bios and tried to rearrange the booting order which doesn't work either, it keeps booting vista.

If I try to load the setup file in the disk trhough my computer after vista is loaded, I get the 'The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running' message.

Any ideas?
Cheeers again!

Zatharus

VIP Member
64 bit is the way to go if you have or plan to use more than 4GB of memory in your system. Most driver and software issues have been ironed out through the Vista trials. Using the 64bit OS will not prevent you from running 32bit software either *(unless that software is very old and/or buggy). Windows 7 and Vista before it really started to handle the 64bit environment well. XP64 was a completely different story.

As for iTunes - iTunes is not a 64bit application on Windows, just the installer is. However, iTunes runs fine on Windows 7 64bit within the 32bit emulation environment.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Cheeers mate.

Rather than createing a new thread for a related problem. I'm having an issue booting the OS.

It's an HP 6735s laptop, i've pressed F9 and tried to boot from upgrade bay which doesn't work, i've went into the Bios and tried to rearrange the booting order which doesn't work either, it keeps booting vista.

If I try to load the setup file in the disk trhough my computer after vista is loaded, I get the 'The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running' message.

Any ideas?
Cheeers again!

You cannot upgrade a 32bit Vista install to Windows 7 64bit. You will have to do a fresh install of the 64bit OS. Only Vista 64bit can be upgraded to Windows 7 64bit directly.

pcmagic

You cannot upgrade a 32bit Vista install to Windows 7 64bit. You will have to do a fresh install of the 64bit OS. Only Vista 64bit can be upgraded to Windows 7 64bit directly.

Thanks, yes ofcourse but how do I do that if I can't get the CD to Boot first before the HD? HA!

Thanks,

goosy22

Thanks, yes ofcourse but how do I do that if I can't get the CD to Boot first before the HD? HA!

Thanks,

you need to go into your BIOS (press F10, DEL, or some other button... it flashes quickly at startup on the bottom of your screen if you don't know offhand...) and change the setting called "BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY" or something similar... should have options for the HDD, the DVD/CD-ROM, NETWORK, etc... those options will more than likely be the serial or product numbers in newer computers, not generic titles like i've listed... change it to your optical drive, save and exit, and viola!!!

EDIT: the BIOS may be called "System Setup" or something different depending on the manufacturer... need more help, just ask...

Last edited:

pcmagic

Well yeah but thats the thing, i've already done that.

I've pressed F9 and tried to boot from upgrade bay which doesn't work, i've went into the Bios and tried to rearrange the booting order which doesn't work either, it just loads the HDD.

Bodaggit23

I suggest you Load Optimized Defaults in your BIOS and try the "Upgrade Port" option again.

You may have changed something in the BIOS that's preventing it from booting now.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Well yeah but thats the thing, i've already done that.

I've pressed F9 and tried to boot from upgrade bay which doesn't work, i've went into the Bios and tried to rearrange the booting order which doesn't work either, it just loads the HDD.

Upgrade bay? Does it not show a CD/DVD drive in the list of bootable devices that you can re-order?

That sounds more like the boot device menu not the BIOS. Do you see a CD/DVD drive listed in the BIOS?

Beyond that, you could have a bad disc as was mentioned.

Last edited:

pcmagic

Upgrade bay? Does it not show a CD/DVD drive in the list of bootable devices that you can re-order?

That sounds more like the boot device menu not the BIOS. Do you see a CD/DVD drive listed in the BIOS?

Beyond that, you could have a bad disc as was mentioned.

No, I look into it, it displays the CD/DVD Drive as an upgrade bay, it does display USB CD Drive and other USD, but it's minaly Notebook Upgrade Bay and Notebook HDD.

Possibly the disk but I tried the e HP recovery disk which came with the laptop and that never worked either.

Zatharus

VIP Member
No, I look into it, it displays the CD/DVD Drive as an upgrade bay, it does display USB CD Drive and other USD, but it's minaly Notebook Upgrade Bay and Notebook HDD.

Possibly the disk but I tried the e HP recovery disk which came with the laptop and that never worked either.

Ah, OK.

Are both the Windows 7 disc and the HP recovery disc burned discs by any chance?

Edit: Also, when you attempt to boot from either disc, are you seeing a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..."?

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
If you have put your CD/DVD-ROM drive to be the first device to boot from and the CD/DVD-ROM disk inside of your CD/DVD-ROM drive still won't boot then it can be that your CD/DVD-ROM drive is not working properly or that the CD/DVD-ROM disk that you are trying to boot from is not bootable...

pcmagic

Ah, OK.

Are both the Windows 7 disc and the HP recovery disc burned discs by any chance?

Edit: Also, when you attempt to boot from either disc, are you seeing a prompt to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..."?

Windows 7 disc is burned, the HP recovery disk is the original disc.

When I attempt to boot from either disc, I can hear the CD/DVD Drive going but then it just stops and it boots from HDD....Maybe I should press something to see.

Invisible Man

Windows 7 disc is burned, the HP recovery disk is the original disc.

When I attempt to boot from either disc, I can hear the CD/DVD Drive going but then it just stops and it boots from HDD....Maybe I should press something to see.
I was wondering why you have a windows 7 as a burn disc.

I have a windows 7 64bit ultimate signature edition install on my pc and its run great.
P1020849.jpg
Thanks to MS for free OS.:D