windows 7 and hard drive problem

Darthaus

Hi this says do it from in windows i cant boot into windows without the slave drive being in the computer

You can do an upgrade from the disc directly. Boot to it choose install, then it will ask if you want to do an upgrade or clean install. Choose upgrade, then follow the prompts.

Upgrade will keep existing files, clean will reformat and delete everything.

Darthaus

No take the slave out.

From your description we are assuming the boot files for your machine were install on the slave drive for some reason during install, so since start up repair didn't work doing an upgrade will reinstall all system files thus reinstalling the boot files to your master drive

cornishhosting

No take the slave out.

From your description we are assuming the boot files for your machine were install on the slave drive for some reason during install, so since start up repair didn't work doing an upgrade will reinstall all system files thus reinstalling the boot files to your master drive

Ok will give it a go just hope i don't loose all my files

Darthaus

As long as you don't choose "Clean Install" it won't delete them.

If you're that concerned back them up first

cornishhosting

Hi just got to where it says install clicked yes then except terms then click upgrade then get this message

The computer started using the windows installation disk. Remove the installation disk and restart your computer so it starts normally. Then insert the disk and restart the upgrade. But to do that I need the slave in ?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The upgrade should take place before windows even boots. If its not working correctly then backup your data to the slave drive and do a fresh install of windows, but this means all programs would have to be reinstalled. Not sure why you are having an issue.

cornishhosting

The upgrade should take place before windows even boots. If its not working correctly then backup your data to the slave drive and do a fresh install of windows, but this means all programs would have to be reinstalled. Not sure why you are having an issue.

Just my luck i have loads of programs and stuff installed will take me hours to back it all up.

Cant i just leave the slave in and see it does the upgrade because surely it will put everything on the master and not slave.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try it but usually it will detect where the boot files are already and just overwrite them in the same place. You will need to remove the slave before fixing your issue most likely. Are you booting to the cd or are you just running setup from within windows? You need to boot to the cd.

cornishhosting

Booting from cd going to back everything up and do a clean install now. because this as took loads of time up

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I really think thats your best solution at this point. I know how hard it is to reinstall everything from scratch.