Windows 7 crashing problem

chibicitiberiu

In the last 3 days, I've been having some serious trouble with the computer, more exactly with Windows 7 (Ubuntu seems to be working just fine). I had 3 or 4 crashes in the first day, and one every other day... (Good thing that I use Ctrl+S keyboard shortcut after every line, so no important information was lost.)

I don't know what's going on, but looks serious. I never had this many crashes in such a short time span.

For some reason, WinDbg doesn't work either, it freezes when trying to Load unloaded modules.... so I can't get any useful info about the crash from the memory dumps, except for the error code.

The minidump files are here (.zip, 128kb, dropbox), hopefully they will be useful.

I also managed to take a photo of the last crash:
2011-08-27_08-52-41_7.jpg

Most of the error codes are 0x4E, one 0x0 and one 0x8E.

My computer is an Acer Aspire 5732ZG, and it is about 1 year old (bought it in june 2010).

What could be wrong?

Update: In a marathon of troubleshooting, I found out that error 0x4E, aka PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, can caused by malfunctioning drivers, which write where they shouldn't. Trying to find which driver was causing all the trouble, I enabled the Driver Verifier (verifier.exe), which caused an infinite loop of crashes.

After I disabled the verifier I looked at the system restore points, and found one which was a day before the first crashes. This restore point was made after a windows update.

So, the problem was either a windows update, or another program update (which happened very closely and didn't left a restore point; the program is an internet filter, K9, and I think it works in kernel space). Did a system restore, and everything seems to be working fine....

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
What were the last updates you installed for before BSOD started happening?
Please don't tell me you don't know lol.I hate when people install updates they don't need and ESPECIALLY when they do not even know what they are for -_-

chibicitiberiu

What were the last updates you installed for before BSOD started happening?
Please don't tell me you don't know lol.I hate when people install updates they don't need and ESPECIALLY when they do not even know what they are for -_-

I think it was that internet filter update... the windows update was KB2570791 which fixes some clock related issues...

And I usually install all the "Important" updates... They are made to fix things that go wrong if they are not installed. The "Optional" updates, only if I need any (most of them are language packs).

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Let me ask you...did your computer work bad so that's why you installed the update (for which you are not sure it was for)?
Because if your system was working just fine and then you installed "important" updates when NOT neccessary,what's the point of that???
I mean...installing updates when your system works fine is just stupid lol...updates are made so people can use them IF they have a specific problem and IF the SPECIFIC update fixes their problem.If you did not have any problems,what's the point???You are just risking and forcing your system to BSOD and let's face it...now you DO have BSOD and does your system work better now? I don't think so lol :D

I will never ever understand why people install updates when not neccessary and when their system is working fine.I know SO MANY people all over the internet who install 100 or more updates.I ask them why they do such a thing and they just say:"Because those are critical updates."
And of course later they have less space on their HDD and their system works like crap in most cases and many times they get BSOD at random times.So what if they are CRITICAL updates???????? Does that automatically mean that you MUST install them??? Hell no lol.Microsoft makes many critical updates and each "important" or "critical" update is used to fix a specific problem.But for Christ sake if you do NOT have those problems,WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU THEN INSTALL ALL THOSE UPDATES IN THE FIRST PLACE??? I don't get it...

I said it many times already and I will say again:

Microsoft makes many updates for Windows and each update fixes a specific problem.However that does not mean that you should automatically install ALL those updates.If you do not have the specific problems then DO NOT install updates to fix the problems you do not have!Install ONLY the update for a SPECIFIC problem your system HAS!
Installing so many unneccessary updates is stupid and not neccessary at all and it will not make your system to work better in any means and you are just forcing the system to BSOD at random times or something even worse.If certain updates are IMPORTANT,CRITICAL or SECURITY that does NOT mean that you should immediately automatically install them all.Install ONLY THOSE you need.If you want Windows to work good and fast,install it and configure it properly.If you want security,install good antivirus software,configure it properly and update it.But if you are installing dozens and dozens of updates to make the same thing,sooner or later your system will work slower and you can end up with BSOD.I will say again...Microsoft did not make ALL those updates so you can install them ALL.They make them so people can use the ONES THEY REALLY NEED AND NOT THE ONES THEY DO NOT NEED.
If you do not have the specific problems then DO NOT install updates to fix the problems you do not have!If you do,you are stupid (no offence to anyone of course :):D )

People install every single update almost every day and the worst thing is that they do not need them at all and even worse is that they do not know what those updaets are even made for...ROFL!
They just always think:"Having ALL updates is the best!"
I will say again: "ROFL!"

Look I am not trying to offend anyone.I just do not understand why people keep updating system like crazy when the system works great.That's just stupid...

For example...I have XP and the ONLY updates I have are SP1,SP2 and SP3.But that's it!No more!I mean why should I install all the rest of other updates???My system works perfectly and every single program and game works perfectly on it.There is no need for other updates UNLESS if a specific program,driver or game REALLY needs it.In THAT case I will install ONLY THAT NECCESSARY update,but not ALL 1000 updates I find on the internet........Jesus...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the antivirus updates,here I DO recommend to everyone to keep the antivirus software updated as new viruses are made every day.

Okay I hope this made it clear to those people who like updates so much lol :p

Ok chibicitiberiu let's now focus on how you can try to fix the error caused by the update.Do you by any chance maybe have the Windows 7 DVD disk? If yes,repair your operating system with it and it should remove all the installed updates...

If you do not have the Windows 7 DVD disk,let me know.

Cheers!

chibicitiberiu

As a software (and also hobby operating system) developer I must disagree with you... The out of the box operating system is not perfect, bugs, problems can exist anywhere. Most of them are found and resolved in the beta stage, but some can go undetected...

That was the reason why windows Vista was so unstable, and most of the updates tried to solve these problems. Truth is that with windows vista, MS rushed to release it, since their last OS (xp) was launched over 4 years before.

Updates are good, even if they might not seem useful, and I strongly recommend keeping the OS up to date.

I'm not removing any updates, and I don't need to repair Windows from the installation disk. I already said that the problem was solved with a system restore.

wolfeking

banned
As a software (and also hobby operating system) developer I must disagree with you... The out of the box operating system is not perfect, bugs, problems can exist anywhere. Most of them are found and resolved in the beta stage, but some can go undetected...
if you have a problem with the OS, install the update that fixes it. I maintain, as was said above, that not all critical updates are needed. Every day when I log into Ubuntu there are 500+ updates marked critical. Most (85%+) do not affect things I use, and the other 15% works fine as is. I have only ever updated the Nvidia driver as it was not running right (would freeze in games).
That was the reason why windows Vista was so unstable, and most of the updates tried to solve these problems. Truth is that with windows vista, MS rushed to release it, since their last OS (xp) was launched over 4 years before.
how was vista unstable? I used it from release (am still using it) and have only ever had 3 BSOD and 2 system crashes, and 100% of those were caused by a bad HDD.
Updates are good, even if they might not seem useful, and I strongly recommend keeping the OS up to date.
And I strongly recommend that every time your motherboard releases a BIOS update that you install it, and buy a new truck every year cause they are updated.

chibicitiberiu

how was vista unstable? I used it from release (am still using it) and have only ever had 3 BSOD and 2 system crashes, and 100% of those were caused by a bad HDD.
If it was stable on your computer, it doesn't mean it was on everyone else's computer.

And I strongly recommend that every time your motherboard releases a BIOS update that you install it, and buy a new truck every year cause they are updated.
As far as I know, updates are free... and what does updating an OS have to do with updating the BIOS or the truck?

If you don't want updates, fine... i don't care... but I'll continue updating my computer...

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
If it was stable on your computer, it doesn't mean it was on everyone else's computer.

Yea well you see there are MANY people who's computer IS completely stable and working great,but for some stupid reason they DO update it anyway and end up with BSOD or slow system...
No offence to them,but they deserve that when they update their system when not needed at ALL...

I am also a software developer,but that is not a reason for updating my system like crazy lol.

Real life scenario:

-Someone's computer is working perfectly.I am saying again...PERFECTLY...
-2 days later he/she decides to update it...
-Why???
-No reason of course...
-After so many updates are finished,he/she restarts the computer...
-After restart......he/she gets BSOD or slow system...
-IF BSOD: His/her reaction:"What the hell?!"
-IF SLOW SYSTEM: His/her reaction:"Why is it so slow???I keep it updated..."
-My answer to them: Congratulations...

I agree with wolfeking.
BIOS...OS...same thing...People ALWAYS update their OS like crazy,but never update BIOS or hardware...So why not update that too lol?I mean...there are tons of updates for it too =D
Still is it neccessary to update BIOS and OS if both is working great???
I don't think so lol.I mean you can update ANYTHING lol...but there is no need for that so what's the point xD? Sooner or later you will end up in a bad situation and simple system restore or repair won't be able to save you ;)

I say...update ONLY if you need a specific problem that needs to be fixed...otherwise if you do NOT have that specific problem do NOT install unneccessary update for it...I mean what is the point???

Once I actually tried to install ALL critical updates just to see what is going to happen on my Acer laptop.And guess what...after all updates were applied,my system was working slow as hell.I did not have any BSODs,but it was SLOW like crap lol...

I'll tell you one thing...if someone is a software developer that does not mean that your system needs to be always updated or that you must ALWAYS install and use the NEWEST programming IDE.For instance...95% of the people I know use Visual Studio 2010 and it takes 7.5 GB of space.I on the other hand use Visual Studio 2002 and it takes 1.5 GB of space or less.Sure it's old and ugly,but does that mean that it is impossible to make everything in it?Hell no...it IS possible only it's harder and you need to write more code than usual.
For example...if you want to make simple E-mail client in VS 2010,all you have to do is to use SMTP client and write maybe 5 simple lines of code.
In VS 2002 you do NOT have an SMTP client.But is that a reason to IMMEDIATELY update to VS 2010???Well...YES if you are lazy to learn any programming stuff that is a little bit more complicated.And NO if you are ready to learn more and write a lot more than 5 simple lines of code.
So...I AM going to update to new VS,but as long as I can make everything I want and need in VS 2002,what is the point to update to VS 2010 lol?
Sure VS 2010 has many nice stuff,but I can still make my own in VS 2002.It is harder,but who cares.If you have knowledge,there are no limits.
And I also save about 5 GB on space on HDD ^^

Now imaginate those Windows updates...you do not need them at all (unless if you have ALL those problems that ALL those updates have to fix,but NOBODY has all of the problems),but you STILL put them ALL anyway for no reason:

1. You risk your system to BSOD or SLOW working time...
2. You have a LOT less space on your HDD...
3. That's just stupid lol...

Also for example...VS 2002 will not always create simple events for you so you have to write them manually...,but is that a reason to immediately update to VS 2010? Well that is completely your choice,but in my opinion it is not neccessary UNLESS if you are so lazy to write any code lol.On the following picture I had to rewrite ALL the events for all my controls.Still that would be stupid reason to immediately update to VS 2010 unless if I am lazy to rewrite them:
26097642.jpg

paulcheung

Let me ask you...did your computer work bad so that's why you installed the update (for which you are not sure it was for)?
Because if your system was working just fine and then you installed "important" updates when NOT neccessary,what's the point of that???
I mean...installing updates when your system works fine is just stupid lol...updates are made so people can use them IF they have a specific problem and IF the SPECIFIC update fixes their problem.If you did not have any problems,what's the point???You are just risking and forcing your system to BSOD and let's face it...now you DO have BSOD and does your system work better now? I don't think so lol :D

I will never ever understand why people install updates when not neccessary and when their system is working fine.I know SO MANY people all over the internet who install 100 or more updates.I ask them why they do such a thing and they just say:"Because those are critical updates."
And of course later they have less space on their HDD and their system works like crap in most cases and many times they get BSOD at random times.So what if they are CRITICAL updates???????? Does that automatically mean that you MUST install them??? Hell no lol.Microsoft makes many critical updates and each "important" or "critical" update is used to fix a specific problem.But for Christ sake if you do NOT have those problems,WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU THEN INSTALL ALL THOSE UPDATES IN THE FIRST PLACE??? I don't get it...

I said it many times already and I will say again:

Microsoft makes many updates for Windows and each update fixes a specific problem.However that does not mean that you should automatically install ALL those updates.If you do not have the specific problems then DO NOT install updates to fix the problems you do not have!Install ONLY the update for a SPECIFIC problem your system HAS!
Installing so many unneccessary updates is stupid and not neccessary at all and it will not make your system to work better in any means and you are just forcing the system to BSOD at random times or something even worse.If certain updates are IMPORTANT,CRITICAL or SECURITY that does NOT mean that you should immediately automatically install them all.Install ONLY THOSE you need.If you want Windows to work good and fast,install it and configure it properly.If you want security,install good antivirus software,configure it properly and update it.But if you are installing dozens and dozens of updates to make the same thing,sooner or later your system will work slower and you can end up with BSOD.I will say again...Microsoft did not make ALL those updates so you can install them ALL.They make them so people can use the ONES THEY REALLY NEED AND NOT THE ONES THEY DO NOT NEED.
If you do not have the specific problems then DO NOT install updates to fix the problems you do not have!If you do,you are stupid (no offence to anyone of course :):D )

People install every single update almost every day and the worst thing is that they do not need them at all and even worse is that they do not know what those updaets are even made for...ROFL!
They just always think:"Having ALL updates is the best!"
I will say again: "ROFL!"

Look I am not trying to offend anyone.I just do not understand why people keep updating system like crazy when the system works great.That's just stupid...

For example...I have XP and the ONLY updates I have are SP1,SP2 and SP3.But that's it!No more!I mean why should I install all the rest of other updates???My system works perfectly and every single program and game works perfectly on it.There is no need for other updates UNLESS if a specific program,driver or game REALLY needs it.In THAT case I will install ONLY THAT NECCESSARY update,but not ALL 1000 updates I find on the internet........Jesus...
As for the antivirus updates,here I DO recommend to everyone to keep the antivirus software updated as new viruses are made every day.

Okay I hope this made it clear to those people who like updates so much lol :p

Ok chibicitiberiu let's now focus on how you can try to fix the error caused by the update.Do you by any chance maybe have the Windows 7 DVD disk? If yes,repair your operating system with it and it should remove all the installed updates...

If you do not have the Windows 7 DVD disk,let me know.

Cheers!

+1 and 100% agree, I don't turn on updates. only anti-virus program I update.:D