Windows 7 Official Pricing Released

Bodaggit23

This is sure to upset some people. lol

Microsoft just laid out the Windows 7 pricing grid for us, and here's the big takeaway:
Vista and XP users will need to pony up $119.99, $199.99, or $219.99 on October 22 to score
their Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate upgrade, and those of you who want
a full retail disc will need to roll up with $199.99, $299.99, or $319.99 respectively.

It's not quite that simple, though: starting tomorrow, June 26, you'll be able to pre-order upgrades
at much cheaper prices -- $49.99 for Home Premium and $99.99 for Professional, just as we'd heard --
but pre-orders will be strictly limited in number and are expected to sell out quickly. Obviously we'd
prefer it if final pricing was $49 and $99 for everyone, but it's not a bad start, especially since
participating manufacturers will be offering cheap / free upgrades to 7 on new computers sold after
tomorrow with Vista as well.

Oh, and don't you worry about scoring a place in line, because we're here to help: later today
we'll be giving away 100 codes that guarantee a pre-order spot at the discounted prices, and
you'll be able to share the code with two friends. You'll have to act fast, though -- the codes
will only be valid for 48 hours. Keep your eyes peeled for our recession antidote post around
noon EST, and get your clicky-fingers ready.

Update: Looks lke we've got our first participating manufacturer -- HP machines sold after
tomorrow will receive free upgrades to 7, and we're hearing Sony will announce a similar offer
soon. We'll be keeping a full list of announcements as the day goes on, check back later for more.

http://www.engadget.com/

dug987654

And for those in the UK:

In the UK the upgrade version of the Home Premium edition of Windows 7, available to those with an existing Windows license, will be £79.99.

By contrast buying this in a shop, and which can be installed on more than one machine, will cost £149.99.

From BBC website.

It seems like the EU have done us over again:

Anyone outside Europe buying a new PC between now and then - running Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate - will get the chance to upgrade the operating system on it, at no cost, to Windows 7.....

...."We will not be able to offer an upgrade product within Europe," said John Curran, Windows business lead at Microsoft UK, adding that only the full version of the software will be available to Europeans. ...

....The upgrade option was not available, Microsoft said, because it was trying to comply with European competition regulations.

From BBC website.

Full page link here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm

It looks as if you will have to pay £80 to "upgrade" your operating system, but you will recieve the same disc as if you bought it brand new, it just won't have a license as that will be carried over.

Doug.

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
This price is steeper than I was expecting.

For those who have watched an O/S rollout - do you think the price will be coming down at some point in the future?

For an OEM price - 2-300 bones sounds rediculous to me.

mac550

yup im deffo staying with vista, M$ can **** right off it they think im paying that for a DVD, they where lucky that i payed £65 for my OEM vista not alone that much for IMO a worse OS that some games dont support

tremmor

nice link for the info. Curious though....if you use the release candidate (RC) will you be to buy and install without wiping your installation or will ya need another installation and start over.
thanks

just curious

Bodaggit23

nice link for the info. Curious though....if you use the release candidate (RC) will you be to buy and install without wiping your installation or will ya need another installation and start over.
thanks

just curious

You will not be able to upgrade from the RC.

You will need to format and reinstall.

Jamin43

banned
yup im deffo staying with vista, M$ can **** right off it they think im paying that for a DVD, they where lucky that i payed £65 for my OEM vista not alone that much for IMO a worse OS that some games dont support

If you purchase tomorrow - you can get the upgrade for 50 % discount. 49 bucks for Windows 7 Upgrade.

It's the price that you've been waiting for, but don't wait too long.

ZoomWith Windows 7 official pricing now out in the open, Microsoft is offering a special deal for those looking to pre-order Home Premium or Professional starting tomorrow.

The special offer from Microsoft prices the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade at $49.99 – a huge savings from the usual price of $119.99. Those looking for the Professional version can get for half price at $99.99 as part of the deal.

The deal will be offered through the Microsoft store online or at select retail partners such as Best Buy or Amazon. Stay tuned to this page for a list of all participating retailers.

Microsoft did say that supplies would be limited, but declined to offer details on just how limited. Given that it’ll be offered both online and in brick and mortar stores, we’re guessing that it’ll be something you’ll want to act on quickly, but not something you’ll need to camp out for.

This program begins tomorrow in the U.S., Canada and Japan. European pre-orders will start on July 15, but Microsoft has yet to announce the full details in those markets.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-preorder-cheap-discount,8140.html

Here's Microsoft official page to update on Pre-order details as they become available

Windows 7 Offers

Windows 7 is nearly here, and we’re putting the finishing touches on special offers for you. Check back soon to learn more about a special pre-order offer, and the Windows 7 Upgrade Option program. Whether you’re shopping for a new PC today or upgrading one you already have, we’ll make it easy for you to make the move.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/coming-soon.aspx

Last edited:

Garrettvt

Windows 7 price

After reading The projected price that microsoft is planning to charge for windows 7, I was not only shocked but, truly amazed that microsoft had the...balls to do such a thing. For win 7 ultimate they're saying it could be as much as 357$. It's surprising they would dare to charge such an amount after the mass of overly negative reviews of vista. Don't get me wrong, i'm no linux or mac freak, after using the rc I was actually hoping microsoft would go about things right this time but...nope. How is this an effective marketing strategy? At first glance it isn't, and after even more glances it still is retarded. But the one thing that I thought of is that this may put The various computer manufacturers in such a place where they may almost be forced into it, in order to supply their buyers preloaded systems with win 7. Of course the price would probably be much less steep. And of course the technology enthusiasts that can afford it would, but as for the average computer user I highly doubt they would even consider it. I mean, microsoft has practically no competition! Linux still isn't up to speed when compared to windows, I doubt apple plans to make mac any more compatible with pcs. So, that leaves one thought, "what the hell microsoft?" Once again they have tried to screw over even their most loyal customers. I was honestly really looking forward to win 7, but to have to pay such an ungodly amount as that???? I don't think so. I'm pretty pissed about this, what do others think?

leopardforest

I am building a new computer and dont have a OS. I have a copy of the RC but I would like to have a OS that I know I am not going to lose any files on. I have heard that people are not having many problems with the RC, but I am still a bit skeptical.

So I was wondering....should I but a OEM copy of Vista Home Premium with the free Win 7 upgrade? Or can I buy an upgrade to Windows 7? I am a little unsure about this part of my build....

Thanks

Bodaggit23

should I but a OEM copy of Vista Home Premium with the free Win 7 upgrade? Or can I buy an upgrade to Windows 7? I am a little unsure about this part of my build....

Thanks

Either one. If you buy the OEM Vista, it will cost you double what the Windows 7 Upgrade will cost, but you'll get 2 OS's.

Not sure what your question is.

leopardforest

Either one. If you buy the OEM Vista, it will cost you double what the Windows 7 Upgrade will cost, but you'll get 2 OS's.

Not sure what your question is.

Well I dont have a OS right now (I am building my first windows machine, I own a mac) so dont I need a prior OS to upgrade from? ie: I need to own a copy of vista or xp to be able to qualify for a $50 upgrade to win 7?