Windows 7 question

Aastii

VIP Member
Home premium is enough for any user, the others come with bells and whistles, but nothing that justifies paying extra or makes the system any better or worse. You can see all the differences here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

The XP thing looks tempting, however, having used Vista and 7 for years, I have yet to find a program that would not work, or did not have a work around of some sort

Russ88765

I'm using premium now, which hasn't been too bad. I'm not a member of any large business servers or anything. I don't know if i'd make use of anything more, so it's a thought that i'd just buy the same thing for the new computer unless i'm missing out on something huge. I just get drawn into thinking I need the "black edition" of everything on hype/features alone. I'll likely be getting a 2tb drive for general use, so I should have enough room for whatever windows throws at me, regarding that extra stuff from windows 7. That's assuming the quality control for WD caviar blacks are still good these days.

Last edited:

Jiffyman

If you need remote desktop and domain access go for professional. If you don't know what those are you don't need PRO. The only other features that Ultimate offers is multi-language support and bit locker drive encryption.

Russ88765

Also, do I need a windows 7 disc to perform a system restore on a pc that already has windows 7 installed? I need to restore the os on one computer, and install an os on another.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Also, do I need a windows 7 disc to perform a system restore on a pc that already has windows 7 installed? I need to restore the os on one computer, and install an os on another.

If the computer won't boot to do a system restore, then yes. Then you can use the system restore on the CD. And yes, you can also use it on any computer that needs that copy of 7 installed.

Brucew0619

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate version with 64 bit before, but it seems run much slowly in my computer, so I changed to Windows 7 32 bit.

Okedokey

No its not slower. What a load of rubbish.

The reason why you need 64bit is that if you want to address over 2^32 (4GB) of total memory, that is RAM, GPU DDR, Sound card memory etc etc, the deficit under a 32bit OS will mean that WIndows can utilise less than 4GB. That is in many cases even with 4GB installed (RAM) you can only utilise 2.5GB which is not sufficient imho.

Windows 7 64bit is no slower, nor less supported. It must be recommended.

lucasbytegenius

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate version with 64 bit before, but it seems run much slowly in my computer, so I changed to Windows 7 32 bit.

Let's get something straight here:
x86 will be just as slow, and both versions will be slow for a few hours/days, depending on the number of files you've got. Why? Because Windows 7 indexes EVERYTHING for Windows Search, which allows you to search your files quicker. Trust me, you impatient ______ :p, it won't be slow forever.