Is it better than Vista 64?
How stable is this version?
How "finished" is this version?
Can you duel boot with it?
How compatiable with games is it?

Cheers

Droogie

easier to navigate, better compatibility, faster boot times, better security, better ease of use. yes it is IMO a step up from an already very good OS, Vista.

it's perfectly stable, i haven't run into a single problem as far as freezing, automatically rebooting, BSOD, etc.

it's just as finished as windows vista IMO. there's nothing that would suggest that it still needs work.

yup, i'm duel booting fedora 10 and windows 7.

runs all my games, orange box, cod5, crysis, etc. and i havnt' heard of any serious compatibility issues with any games.

Machin3

I've noticed a slight problem in it and my friend also said he has had this problem. I went away for awhile and when I returned the computer was asleep and normally you would move your mouse or whatever to wake it. But that didn't work so we both had to restart the pc for it to work again.

Stildawn

haha awesome response. Sets my mind at ease.

Couple more questions come to mind.

Drivers? Like ATi, motherboard etc are all they uptodate/work on 7?
And how would you duel boot with Vista? I use to use Vistaboot something or other with Vista and XP, is there anything different with 7?
Oh and how much space should I assign its partition lol?

Cheers

Bodaggit23

haha awesome response. Sets my mind at ease.

Couple more questions come to mind.

Drivers? Like ATi, motherboard etc are all they uptodate/work on 7?
And how would you duel boot with Vista? I use to use Vistaboot something or other with Vista and XP, is there anything different with 7?
Oh and how much space should I assign its partition lol?

Cheers
You won't need to install a single driver manually.

You can later if you like.

I can't run 2142 because of PB. Unknown Windows API. 64bit version only.

32bit works fine. (Beta did anyway)

Dual booting is the same as any other Windows dual boot.
Windows 7 requires 16Gigs hard drive space, more is recommended.

Stildawn

Ok.. Sounds good. Cant wait to give it a try... Anyone done any benchmarks on it compared to Vista? Like gaming bench marks etc?

Stildawn

Software gives different results...

Ive done bench marks on Vista and XP, with very differing results.

remixedcat

banned
You will not like the WMP12 on 7:

The EQ is very hard to get to.... you have to go to the view bar>now playing>show enhancements then go to the now playing mode>click on this wierld arrow like icon> then you can pop up the EQ

also the interface is too whitewashed! Hard to see the text and it is more clunky looking. WMP11 had the best interface. Bring it back and add more features

The Ui was designed for TV type interface.... grrr... if we want a tv itnerface we would use mediacenter or a tv app..... wmp is mostly a music player.... the now playing mode is a rip off this one linux media player I used to use....

also the library management is not as powerful as 11 and they got rid of the tag editor.

If there is a way to install 11 on 7 let me know!

also they got rid of the mini taskbar player! this was the biggest blow to me! I use it alot when photoshopping and just everyday stuff. they replaced it with a babied down jump list thing that does nothing but tasks I dont do in quick mode. this is globally too.

wonder if there is gonna be a hack for that. that kills productivity becuase to switch a song or adjust seek/volume/etc you have to open the player back up and switch songs loosing time and concentration!

theres more but i;ll get to that later.

Bodaggit23

You will not like the WMP12 on 7:

The EQ is very hard to get to.... you have to go to the view bar>now playing>show enhancements then go to the now playing mode>click on this wierld arrow like icon> then you can pop up the EQ
False.

They fixed this issue with the Release Candidate.

Right Click the bar, View, Enhancements, Graphic Equalizer.

also they got rid of the mini taskbar player! this was the biggest blow to me! I use it alot when photoshopping and just everyday stuff. they replaced it with a babied down jump list thing that does nothing but tasks I dont do in quick mode. this is globally too.

wonder if there is gonna be a hack for that. that kills productivity becuase to switch a song or adjust seek/volume/etc you have to open the player back up and switch songs loosing time and concentration!
Ever heard of a media keyboard?

Last edited:

remixedcat

banned
yes but the keyboard cant tell you what the name of the song is :p

and also they ditched it for jump lists that only a few people use. the miniplayer is awesome since it is less distracting for photoshop work.

AlienMenace

duel booting like any windows is, that windows 7 has to be on 1 partition and vista on another. They can't be running on the same partition of a hd. The only trouble I've run into with Windows 7 is I have a memory dump from time to time and then it shuts down my computer. Happened in the beta version also. Next time it happens I am going to take a picture of the screen and send it to Microsoft.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do I need to know about this?

Yes its faster and slightly more reliable imo
Ive not had any major problems so far,Ive had 1 Appcrash which my system is notorius for in Vista too :(
hmm from BETA 7 it was alot better that the state Vista in now so i think its ready now
I should say so,just create some partitions and then install the os onto that
All of my games run on it without any hastle,i think if your games worked in Vista then they should work in 7 as its basicly vista anyway but improved

Cheers

:)

speedyink

VIP Member
yes but the keyboard cant tell you what the name of the song is :p

and also they ditched it for jump lists that only a few people use. the miniplayer is awesome since it is less distracting for photoshop work.

Or you could hover your mouse over the task in the taskbar and it tells you the song title...
Really all it's missing is the volume control, which every keyboard should have nowadays.

I personally use winamp and a media keyboard. Everytime I change the song winamp displays the song in the bottom right corner

Last edited:

remixedcat

banned
wonder if there is an OSD Plugin for WMP.... I'd like that anyways. Amarok had it for linux.... Plus a mini player. I also wonder if there is an OSD volume display for windows.... Linux had it....

Bodaggit23

duel booting like any windows is, that windows 7 has to be on 1 partition and vista on another. They can't be running on the same partition of a hd.
What in the world are you talking about?

You can't have ANY two OS's installed on the same partition, except if you're running VM.
:confused:

Stildawn

All sounds good, now just to get my build done.

I read up on duel booting Vista and 7, it seems you install Vista first making a partition for 7 too. Then install 7 and click custom and choose that partition and it should then (when finished) bring up a Vista/7 boot option without anything else. Sweet.

Droogie

All sounds good, now just to get my build done.

I read up on duel booting Vista and 7, it seems you install Vista first making a partition for 7 too. Then install 7 and click custom and choose that partition and it should then (when finished) bring up a Vista/7 boot option without anything else. Sweet.

why boot both 7 and vista? why not just ditch vista?

just curious :)