Windows hangs after upgrade of GIGABYTE EP45-DS4

Puma_rules

Hi I hope you guys can help as i'm at my wits end! Its a bit long winded please bare with me!

I have recently upgraded my mobo from a Asus p5W DH Deluxe to a Gigabyte EP45-DS4 with a look to upgrading my Core Duo E6600 to a Quad core Q9550It was initially seemed to be a good install, windows XP seemed to install ok, until it got to the set up within windows after the language and networking options. Once the system rebooted and got to the windows boot screen the bar would run accross the screen for 10-15 seconds and then the system hung and froze. I then tried SAFE mode and got a very brief blue screen of death and then the system restarted.

After multiple attempts to source the problem I left my 1tb Samsung Spinpoint hard drive (with XP) and my EVGA GPU 9600GT installed

BUT I removed:

all other sata drives from the mobo (x3)
one of the sticks of OCZ 2GB RAM
both DVD drives Samsung SH-S162 and Samsung SM-308

After doing this the system work perfectly. I then reinstalled all of the above one at a time, however when I got to the DVD drives the same problem occured, I tried both together and then each in turn trying both as master or cable select modes. Plus I tried a different IDE cable but the system continues to hang at the same palce.

The drive is recongised during CMOS and in BIOS. I have also tried disabling the drives from the boot up sequence in BIOS.

Interestingly the system will run under safe mode.

As a final note when the system loaded without the drives connected by IDE, I tried connecting it and searching for new hardware, the drive was found but then the system froze.

All components appeared to be functioing corrently before I upgraded and installed the new Motherboard.

I look forward to any ideas and suggestions

jdbennet

its normal for windows to do that when you upgrade your motherboard

generally you need to a clean install, but a repair install might work (repair installs in xp are kind of iffy though, sometimes they break things like windows update)

Puma_rules

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I should of mentioned. I did a clean install when I upgraded reformatted the hard drive fully and then reinstalled windows

jdbennet

Are you running your drives in IDE emulation mode, or SATA/RAID mode?

put them in IDE emulation mode in the BIOS, boot windows, then install your chipset drivers.

Puma_rules

It was in IDE emulation mode, I have tried it in both as well as updating my bios. Initially after a very long boot up windows loaded with the DVD drive installed. Then the icon disappeared from My computer, came back and system then hung!

Wonder if I might just update to a SATA DVD drive.

Hello there

That sounds like that is the problem, if it get hung when you install that old dvd drive. get an SATA version and let us know how it goes, we will continue to help until it has been resolved :cool:

jdbennet

it should work fine with his ATA one

SATA DVD drives are pointless.

Try burning a new xp cd, using a program called nlite to integrate service pack 2 and 3 and most importantly, your chipset drivers

then try reinstalling.