Windows Media Player 11 Help

vista18dc

I don't know how this problems started but iam having problems with WMP11 in windows vista, first thing ive noticed is when you right click a video file in the right click menu their is usually a play option but this has now gone, next is when you double click a video file or audio instead of going direct to windows media player to play the file it will bring up the choose default program window and ask which one to use as default ive looked though associations panel and all media types have been associated with WMP11, but still it keeps cropping up and lastly when your playing a video in WMP11 when i double click to go full screen the controls have now been hidden permanently you can click blindly and still work the controls but nothing on screen

Please can someone offer their advice on this

thesam101

Hi vista18dc

hmm, seems like the WMP files are wrong or corrupted or something. If you were running a different OS i would say reinstall WMP 11 but with vista i'm pretty sure you can't as its integrated as part of the OS and not as a standalone install.

For that reason i'd suggest using system file checker to check and fix any bad system files, which should include the WMP ones.

In case you don't know how to run sfc:

1. You'll need a command prompt window with admin privileges. Easiest way to do this is to goto the start menu then (i havnt used vista for a while, so sorry if the path is slightly off) start menu>programs>accessories>then RIGHT CLICK on the 'command prompt' option and click 'run as admin'.

2. Once you have that open type sfc /scannow exactly as shown.

3. Let it finish, and reboot. See if that fixes it. :)

vista18dc

Hi vista18dc

hmm, seems like the WMP files are wrong or corrupted or something. If you were running a different OS i would say reinstall WMP 11 but with vista i'm pretty sure you can't as its integrated as part of the OS and not as a standalone install.

For that reason i'd suggest using system file checker to check and fix any bad system files, which should include the WMP ones.

In case you don't know how to run sfc:

1. You'll need a command prompt window with admin privileges. Easiest way to do this is to goto the start menu then (i havnt used vista for a while, so sorry if the path is slightly off) start menu>programs>accessories>then RIGHT CLICK on the 'command prompt' option and click 'run as admin'.

2. Once you have that open type sfc /scannow exactly as shown.

3. Let it finish, and reboot. See if that fixes it. :)

ive tried running the sfc/scannow and it didn't find anything wrong and the problem still occurs, one thing i can remember doing is using a tool called fixWMP utility from thewindowsclub maybe this has effected it somehow ?