Windows or Linux

• Windows

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Linux

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NerdGirl1313

I am doing a poll to see what operating system people like and why.

I use Windows and Linux... but I prefer Linux.

What is your take on this?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Linux is good for security and quite a few large companies run it on their servers. Linux system admins are few and far between, so they can make much more money than Windows system admins (there's a million of us).

Agent Smith

Linux if you're just surfing the web and using office orientated apps. Windows for gaming and using apps that Linux doesn't run, but I guess you could deploy Wine. Windows is my all use OS at the moment though.

johnnyb58

People have been telling to use Linux for years, but I've been using Windows since it first came out. If I didn't have the programs that I use almost daily that depend on Windows, might be tempted to try it. I have a few computers now so I guess I could actually set one up with Linux if I knew what to do.

aldan

i messed around with zoran for awhile but eventually went back to using windows 7.that having been said i would go with linux in a heartbeat if windows 10 is anything like win8.lol

Geoff

VIP Member
Linux if you're just surfing the web and using office orientated apps. Windows for gaming and using apps that Linux doesn't run, but I guess you could deploy Wine. Windows is my all use OS at the moment though.
Seeing as how Microsoft Office doesn't run on Linux, why would you recommend Linux for someone who just uses office apps?

silv55

I use Linux cause i don't have to worry about virus malware and so on, i mostly use it for browsing and streaming and Linux is the best and cheap, you don't have to keep buying antivirus stuff,you can swap a hard drive to any machine you want with linux installed,or install it in 15 minutes,i got rid of all my windows OPS except one, XP that goes side by side with linux,but rarely use it.

salvage-this

Except for Linux Admins are expensive and every day users do not want to be given anything that is unfamiliar. You ever tried taking a non tech savvy user off of Windows xp and on to 8? Doesn't go over well. Now you can display the UI however you want to make the transition to linux more comfortable, but they will still push against you at every step.

I really want to support Linux in the office, but people do not want to learn how to use an entirely new OS to them.

salvage-this

I completely disagree.

I regularly get questions from our staff asking to try out a different piece of software or to try to bridge some functionality into software that we currently have. Updates get rolled out, stuff breaks, compatibility needs to be built in for older/newer standards or for security reasons. If you think that a LTS is going to be all that you need to keep all of your linux application running perfectly stable every day for the duration of the LTS you are very mistaken.

Okedokey

wellthats1ourand34minutesthaticould_fb4911899c259b83475e5ab4acdd6b33.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
LibreOffice exists :rolleyes:
And OpenOffice. What's your point?

Office workers don't just use Word and Excel, many use Access, Outlook, Visio, etc. Your average home user or business worker are not computer savvy, and having them use Windows is hard enough. Yes most things that can be done in Windows can be done on Linux, but unless you want to hire a dedicated Linux admin, good luck having the user support that.

NerdGirl1313

Linux is good for security and quite a few large companies run it on their servers. Linux system admins are few and far between, so they can make much more money than Windows system admins (there's a million of us).

This is a good point!! Plus, I love learning new things... Thank you for the information!! :)

I use windows simply because it's just easier.

That is good to know!! I use both so I can understand that. :)

Thank you for participating!! :)

That is true, I use both so I can understand.

People have been telling to use Linux for years, but I've been using Windows since it first came out. If I didn't have the programs that I use almost daily that depend on Windows, might be tempted to try it. I have a few computers now so I guess I could actually set one up with Linux if I knew what to do.

My advice to you, download Linux and save it to a disk. Than install it on your computer. I use Windows on my desktop and Linux on my laptop.

Even though I don't use it much now, I do prefer Linux for most of what I do at home.

I use Linux at work and home. Linux is user friendly too.

i messed around with zoran for awhile but eventually went back to using windows 7.that having been said i would go with linux in a heartbeat if windows 10 is anything like win8.lol

LOL!!!!

What is Zoran?

Seeing as how Microsoft Office doesn't run on Linux, why would you recommend Linux for someone who just uses office apps?

That is a good point, however Linux comes with its own office.

I use Linux cause i don't have to worry about virus malware and so on, i mostly use it for browsing and streaming and Linux is the best and cheap, you don't have to keep buying antivirus stuff,you can swap a hard drive to any machine you want with linux installed,or install it in 15 minutes,i got rid of all my windows OPS except one, XP that goes side by side with linux,but rarely use it.

That is a good point!! I realized myself that Linux has more security than Windows.

I did this poll to see what people think about these two operating systems. Plus, I like learning for other people's experiences!! Thank you to all who participated thus far!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

spirit

Staff member
^ Think you need to learn how to use the 'Edit' and 'Multiquote' buttons rather than posting 7 times in the space of 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Windows for me. But you know, being a student who represents Microsoft Education on a worldwide-scale that's probably to be expected. :) I've used Ubuntu and Mint before on older machines and VMs and so on and whilst they're not bad at all - considering they are free - I don't think they'd be able to replace Windows for me.