Windows vista home premium 32 bit install no disk

ajay000222

Right so through a long line of events i need to install vista 32 bit with new hard drive (caviar black) and motherboard (Asus crosshair II) and I don't have the dvd. So what's my best choice? I have my key and stuff.
Would it be to just download a torrent of vista then use my legal key?
any better ideas?
I'll see if I can find a friends disk. but it is unlikely.

Concordedly

What I would recommend is in the future you create your own backup of the DVD that Vista came on for situations such as this. As for the rest, I think you know whether or not it will work, but I am not supporting it.

Bodaggit23

Right so through a long line of events i need to install vista 32 bit with new hard drive (caviar black) and motherboard (Asus crosshair II) and I don't have the dvd. So what's my best choice? I have my key and stuff.
Please explain why you have a key but don't have a disc.

Concordedly

I know on the old Windows 98 discs they would have a manual with the key, not have the key on the actual disc. Therefore, if this is the same for Vista, or if someone wrote down the key, and then lost the disc, this would be an applicable theory.

Concordedly

Then that concludes my theory. However, I don't think anyone is really going to take my tutorial as to how to download the torrent as a 'backup' as a great legal idea. :p

I refer to my first post on this thread.

Bodaggit23

the key is probably on a sticker on his case, and he doesnt have the disc anymore. it happens all the time

The reason I ask is that if the OP only has the key that came on a prebuilt computer, it won't work to use just any install disk. It would have to be an OEM disc from a similar or same computer.

If the OP bought a retail copy of Vista, then any retail Vista disc should work.

Cleric7x9

The reason I ask is that if the OP only has the key that came on a prebuilt computer, it won't work to use just any install disk. It would have to be an OEM disc from a similar or same computer.

If the OP bought a retail copy of Vista, then any retail Vista disc should work.

im not sure that that is true, im pretty sure you can use a retail Vista disc for an OEM license.

Concordedly

Well, have the OP give it a shot and find out first-hand. I am kind of interested for purposes of back-ups of my OS CD's

ajay000222

Please explain why you have a key but don't have a disc.

Sure well you were right it was OEM once.
And I say once because It used to be a HP but I've changed graphics card (8800gt, case (antec 1200), PSU (coolermaster extreme 460w) and most recently hard drive (caviar black) and motherboard (crosshair II)

so basically I performed previous upgrades without needing to reinstall vista. I have the recovery disks but I don't think they will work well with a new motherboard. and I have the key from sticker on case (well I just took a picture of it cus the old case is in storage)

and as per the person who said yes torrent will work but its not very legal.
I realize that and I am definitly not for torrenting OS, but I already hav a legal key so MS has gotten theyre part from me, So I'm just getting the dvd pretty much. cus I'll use my key anyway

I reely hope the key is not locked to the OEM but I honestly doubt it. I think it shud work

btw I'll prbly try it this weekend
taken a while cus I had to RMA my caviar black a second time (kinda rediculous to replace faulty hard drive with another faulty hard drive, but thats another story)

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Your OEM key will not work with a retail disk. Period.

And you won't be needing a key if you download an OS from a torrent
because they're all hacked and don't need cd keys. (and trojans and
viruses and whatever else they feel like putting in the OS so they can
hack into your pc whenever they want to steal who knows what)

If I were you, I would buy a fresh copy of Windows Vista OEM while it still includes the free Windows 7 Upgrade.

Concordedly

Your OEM key will not work with a retail disk. Period.

And you won't be needing a key if you download an OS from a torrent
because they're all hacked and don't need cd keys. (and trojans and
viruses and whatever else they feel like putting in the OS so they can
hack into your pc whenever they want to steal who knows what)

If I were you, I would buy a fresh copy of Windows Vista OEM while it still includes the free Windows 7 Upgrade.

I agree 110% honestly [sarcasm] Torrents of pirated software are great, you get the product for free without any consequences at all. [/sarcasm]

lawson_jl

In Vista the same disc works for both retial and OEM versions. Most OEM PCs don't come with disc anymore, which should be illegal.

ajay000222

umm I'm not gnna pirate windows
So are you telling me my OEM key is useless now that I have a new motherboard?
I can't use recovery disks and there's no way to use it on this comp with any other disks

tlarkin

VIP Member
im not sure that that is true, im pretty sure you can use a retail Vista disc for an OEM license.

No you can't, well physically you can be legally you can't. OEM software is tied and bound to the first machine you install it on and it is non transferable to any other computer. That is why it is cheaper, because it is OEM and it is originally meant for system builders to buy bulk OEM licenses and then preinstall them on their machines they sell to customers.

OEM licensed OSes from Microsoft are meant to be purchased and bound with a system and then follow that system and never be allowed to transfer into a new one. There are some gray areas, like upgrading. So that is why you can still physically install it, otherwise the DRM would be written so it wouldn't work at all.

When I used to work with a system's builder and we would do OEM installs of software like MS Office and Windows OS on barebones, if that system was returned by a customer under their 30 day return policy we were not allowed to take that software off. We had to sell that system with all of that software installed because the OEM license would not allow for us to transfer the software to another computer. Of course we were a corporation and Microsoft would audit us on our licenses at times. I doubt they will go after an individual, but just to be clear on the subject. OEM licensed software is not transferable from computer to computer at all. Only retail boxed copies are.

Cleric7x9

No you can't, well physically you can be legally you can't. OEM software is tied and bound to the first machine you install it on and it is non transferable to any other computer. That is why it is cheaper, because it is OEM and it is originally meant for system builders to buy bulk OEM licenses and then preinstall them on their machines they sell to customers.

OEM licensed OSes from Microsoft are meant to be purchased and bound with a system and then follow that system and never be allowed to transfer into a new one. There are some gray areas, like upgrading. So that is why you can still physically install it, otherwise the DRM would be written so it wouldn't work at all.

When I used to work with a system's builder and we would do OEM installs of software like MS Office and Windows OS on barebones, if that system was returned by a customer under their 30 day return policy we were not allowed to take that software off. We had to sell that system with all of that software installed because the OEM license would not allow for us to transfer the software to another computer. Of course we were a corporation and Microsoft would audit us on our licenses at times. I doubt they will go after an individual, but just to be clear on the subject. OEM licensed software is not transferable from computer to computer at all. Only retail boxed copies are.

i didnt say anything about moving an OEM license from one machine to another. i just said you could use a retail disk to reinstall the OEM software on the machine that has the OEM license...

also, that is not really why OEM is cheaper. OEM is cheaper than retail bc with OEM, technical support is left up to the vendor, not microsoft.

tlarkin

VIP Member
i didnt say anything about moving an OEM license from one machine to another. i just said you could use a retail disk to reinstall the OEM software on the machine that has the OEM license...

also, that is not really why OEM is cheaper. OEM is cheaper than retail bc with OEM, technical support is left up to the vendor, not microsoft.

and the license is non transferable and MS doesn't give out free tech support for their product after so many days. Trust me, I used to have support from MS at my last job and we paid extra for it.

Retail box license you can install and uninstall on as many different computers you want to as long as you only use it on one at a time. OEM software once you install it, it is bound to that computer for ever. The license agreements are actually different if you read all the way through the EULA.

I used to work for a MS Systems builder years ago, and unless it has changed which I doubt it, this is how it was done.

Cleric7x9

and the license is non transferable and MS doesn't give out free tech support for their product after so many days. Trust me, I used to have support from MS at my last job and we paid extra for it.

Retail box license you can install and uninstall on as many different computers you want to as long as you only use it on one at a time. OEM software once you install it, it is bound to that computer for ever. The license agreements are actually different if you read all the way through the EULA.

I used to work for a MS Systems builder years ago, and unless it has changed which I doubt it, this is how it was done.

right, ok, when did i say anything about transferring a license from one computer to another? stop quoting my posts if your responses have nothing to do with them, i find it irritating.

you keep squawking nonsense about transferring the license. i said, the OP probably has the vista license sticker on the side of his computer but doesnt have the installation discs. i then proceeded to say that i thought you can use a retail vista disc to reinstall the OS on that computer, using the license on the side of the case. everybody else seemed to understand what i said, so i dont think it was confusing. jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.