Windows vista home premium 32 bit install no disk

tlarkin

VIP Member
right, ok, when did i say anything about transferring a license from one computer to another? stop quoting my posts if your responses have nothing to do with them, i find it irritating.

you keep squawking nonsense about transferring the license. i said, the OP probably has the vista license sticker on the side of his computer but doesnt have the installation discs. i then proceeded to say that i thought you can use a retail vista disc to reinstall the OS on that computer, using the license on the side of the case. everybody else seemed to understand what i said, so i dont think it was confusing. jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

It was in response to your saying you can use an OEM license on a retail disk, which may or may not work but they typically batch the keys, so there is a good chance that it will not work. Plus, on a legal level I don't think it is allowed. So I stated this since this forum does not support anything illegal.

If it pisses you off that bad just use the ignore feature, this is just a website man, no need to get irritated over something on the interwebs.

It sounds to me like they are trying to transfer a license from a prebuilt system to one they are building, which you can't do. Though they stated they just replaced major components. Which is where the license agreement gets very gray.

Cleric7x9

It was in response to your saying you can use an OEM license on a retail disk, which may or may not work but they typically batch the keys, so there is a good chance that it will not work. Plus, on a legal level I don't think it is allowed. So I stated this since this forum does not support anything illegal.

If it pisses you off that bad just use the ignore feature, this is just a website man, no need to get irritated over something on the interwebs.

It sounds to me like they are trying to transfer a license from a prebuilt system to one they are building, which you can't do. Though they stated they just replaced major components. Which is where the license agreement gets very gray.

<thread jack>
im not going to ignore your posts bc you are one of the people on this forum who is almost always right, and definitely very helpful. and you are right, it is only an internet forum, but i was trying to help the OP, and then you quote my post and say im wrong about something i didnt even say, which just ends up being more confusing to everybody.
</thread jack>
<on track>
@ OP, i am 99% sure that you can use a retail disc to install the OS on your OEM computer. the license you input will have to be the license that came with the machine. microsoft allows you to upgrade any component in your computer except the motherboard, and still use the same OEM license that came with it. microsoft also allows you to change your motherboard provided it was due to a previous hardware failure. gluck.
</on track>

ajay000222

ok well yea switching motherboard and it was having some problems with a hard drive recognition thing (dont worry bout details) and I thought I could change it and this wud also be a good chance to get a decent motherboard.
so with motherboard change being allowed do i just use same key or do I need to get microsoft to issue a new key or sumthing...

tlarkin

VIP Member
ok well yea switching motherboard and it was having some problems with a hard drive recognition thing (dont worry bout details) and I thought I could change it and this wud also be a good chance to get a decent motherboard.
so with motherboard change being allowed do i just use same key or do I need to get microsoft to issue a new key or sumthing...

You can use the same key but the built in DRM in Windows hates it when you swap out motherboards, so you will most likely have to wipe and reload the OS. Back up your data first and foremost.

If your computer was a prebuilt computer originally and had a restore partition instead of an actual restore disk you can contact the manufacturer of that computer and order a copy of the restore DVD, however, it most likely will not work because it is probably DRM'd to only work with their motherboards. This is very common.

So your options are, 1) buy a new retail or OEM copy of Windows (if it doesn't work) or 2) Download a pirated version and just try your product key - this may or may not work since they batch the keys. I know if you contact Microsoft they are going to just say tough luck buy a new disk. If you go with option 2, this forum can't help you since this forum does not support any kind of illegal software.

ajay000222

I have restore discs too and I was planning to just reinstall the OS anyway but like u said I don't think the disks will work
I'll have to see what I can do.
thanks for help