windows vista

SC7

It's just that Windows works for me. Everything I do on it, I can do. There are limitations for me on Linux/OS X. Why limit myself when I don't have to? OS X isn't any better than Windows where other gains would warrant doing so. All OS X apps have a Windows counter part, the likewise is not the same.

timothyb89

SC7 said:
Yea, the kernel is basically Unix and FreeBSD put together and called Darwin.

Now for a small rant about Apple.
Then they lock it in to specific apple hardware. On top of this "Darwin", they add some other technologies that just take even more resources, such as the unneccisarily heavy GUI, and some other software, a few very buggy, such as Safari, rename it as OS X and sell it for $129 as the world's most advanced operating system. Very little of it is truely Apple written code, that's why many computer veterans call OS 9 the death of the Macintosh. Every little feature of it comes from something else, such as the GUI based off of adobe's PDF format. Dashboard being a copy of confabulator. MSN and Google had desktop search before Apple had Spotlight. Hell, the hypocracy. They used to rely on Internet Explorer, and now that they have Safari, a browser which isn't that good to begin with, they down IE. They rely on Microsoft to make them an Office Suite. They openly say this in a PC bashing ad. Some mac users even say Office is better on the mac, which is complete bull, as first, it's not universal yet, second, the full office has some 20 apps, 4 of them are available on the mac platform. Third, so many of the features are cut from the mac version of the app which are included in the Windows versions. Ah, Apple and it's fanboys annoy me so much.

I'm with you all the way :D
You post is sooooo true...

SC7

Like I've said, if I want to game or run professional apps, I'll run them on my hightly powered, affordable PC. Seeing as both run faster on windows without a hogging mach_kernel. If I want a *nix operating system to run server apps, run services, or serve other needs for a stable, reliable, flexible, customizable system, I'll take linux. What does that leave for mac? Nothing. It wants to be both, and falls short on both accounts. I think it's the best OS of choice for people who do only web browsing and email. Even when you watch video online, you start to see WMA content, which must use an external window to play in the rosetta emulated WMP, which is not going to be updated. Or, you can get the latest universal or intel binary of VLC, and watch it crash before the video starts to even play. Silly me, some of the content is still MPEG, well, then you can't watch it in full screen until you pay Jobbs $29 every version. Hmm, upgrade to tiger, or keep QT license??? Remember that question anyone. Bah, I'm done for now.

mpisarcik

realize that a majority of movies/music/film and every other art medium are done on Mac b/c windows can't compare for stability and power-

walk into any studio and see for youself.

SC7

mpisarcik said:
realize that a majority of movies/music/film and every other art medium are done on Mac b/c windows can't compare for stability and power-

It used to be that way. It only remains in the Cupertino anti-MS clique. So many places are moving away from the Mac in design. The pro apps (final cut) are what made it stay so. Adobe and others have caught up, and in some cases (sony vegas), they have become superior. Windows has better hardware, without a doubt, and Windows Xp is just as stable, and OS X crashes just as much. You want to talk power, well, besides intel macs, a quad opteron with 16 gigs of ram would smash a quad G5 with the same ram, tests have been made. On the other side, on intel macs benchmarks of native editing apps, show Windows with as much of a 50% performance lead. Same with powerPC apps vs x86 windows. Windows is just as stable, and is more powerful and faster, and all modern benchmarks show this fact. Even Adobe, a few months ago, posted that they admit and feel that Windows is a better platform.

Geoff

VIP Member
mpisarcik said:

When a Mac running Windows XP and OS X are tested (same hardware of course), Windows XP gets higher scores in tests, and performs operations quicker in programs such as Photoshop, as well as many rendering and video/audio programs.

DanLatimer

SC7 said:
Not true. A lot of people like me, don't really want linux on the desktop. Sure, some do, but that's a small portion. A lot of people like the Windows way, just one feature, which is in more than just linux, was used. It's far from being like linux, and it will probably stay that way. Lock screen was from way back in Windows NT, again, also in other systems. Mac OS X is an entire copy, how come no one ever attacks this. And I don't care who copies who, if Microsoft copies, but overall comes out with a product I want more, I'll use that. That's all that matters.

SC7 said:
Yea, the kernel is basically Unix and FreeBSD put together and called Darwin.

Now for a small rant about Apple.
Then they lock it in to specific apple hardware. On top of this "Darwin", they add some other technologies that just take even more resources, such as the unneccisarily heavy GUI, and some other software, a few very buggy, such as Safari, rename it as OS X and sell it for $129 as the world's most advanced operating system. Very little of it is truely Apple written code, that's why many computer veterans call OS 9 the death of the Macintosh. Every little feature of it comes from something else, such as the GUI based off of adobe's PDF format. Dashboard being a copy of confabulator. MSN and Google had desktop search before Apple had Spotlight. Hell, the hypocracy. They used to rely on Internet Explorer, and now that they have Safari, a browser which isn't that good to begin with, they down IE. They rely on Microsoft to make them an Office Suite. They openly say this in a PC bashing ad. Some mac users even say Office is better on the mac, which is complete bull, as first, it's not universal yet, second, the full office has some 20 apps, 4 of them are available on the mac platform. Third, so many of the features are cut from the mac version of the app which are included in the Windows versions. Ah, Apple and it's fanboys annoy me so much.

Well to talk about Mac OS "having to rely on MS for an Office Suite" by definition on OS doesn't include the Apps included and if Mac Os uses MS Office I don't see this as a weakness of the OS.

Why People want Linux on a Windows OS is because Linux is so much more powerful than windows! With Linux everything I could want to do is at the tip of my fingures! console... mmmmmm. but Windows is compatible with EVERYTHING! its soooo userfriendly it makes me pee my pants, so in the end I use windows for my everyday computering while I use the more powerful linux for programming (alot of the time im too lazy to reboot and boot into my linux bc I only have 1 pc, so I just putty into my university Linux lab and program through a secure shell)

Burgerbob

SC7 said:
It used to be that way. It only remains in the Cupertino anti-MS clique. So many places are moving away from the Mac in design. The pro apps (final cut) are what made it stay so. Adobe and others have caught up, and in some cases (sony vegas), they have become superior. Windows has better hardware, without a doubt, and Windows Xp is just as stable, and OS X crashes just as much. You want to talk power, well, besides intel macs, a quad opteron with 16 gigs of ram would smash a quad G5 with the same ram, tests have been made. On the other side, on intel macs benchmarks of native editing apps, show Windows with as much of a 50% performance lead. Same with powerPC apps vs x86 windows. Windows is just as stable, and is more powerful and faster, and all modern benchmarks show this fact. Even Adobe, a few months ago, posted that they admit and feel that Windows is a better platform.
Where can i find results for these tests? im not questioning you, i just think that would be very interesting.

SC7

DanLatimer said:
Well to talk about Mac OS "having to rely on MS for an Office Suite" by definition on OS doesn't include the Apps included and if Mac Os uses MS Office I don't see this as a weakness of the OS.
No, but would you use an Opetaing System that didn't have the software you like? I like linux a lot too.