Windows XP doesn't boot

parthum

I have problem with my existing PC. It suddently crashed. When I try rebooting the machine, the Windows-XP logo comes up and a blue-screen is dumped immediately and shuts down. The blue-screen only stays for a fraction of a second and doesn't allow to read the message.

When I try reinstalling the Windows-XP operating system, The process hangs while the system is reading the Windows system files from the CD and it wont even proceed till it shows me a disk partition screen to move forward.

I am not sure where the problem lies. This system has been running for over two years and never had this issue.

Any ideas for fixing this will he helpful.

Thanks in advance.

systek

banned
ahhhh, the blue screen of death. reseat all your internal components and see if the problem continues. Usually, but not always, this is caused by faulty hdd, corrupt os or faulty memory.

sab.o.taj

ahhhh, the blue screen of death. reseat all your internal components and see if the problem continues. Usually, but not always, this is caused by faulty hdd, corrupt os or faulty memory.

maybe an internal problem..
consider power supply, cpu fan, etc

parthum

Its the Same problem even if I boot in safe mode. In Safe mode, it just hangs after dumping some messages.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
or a virus or trojan which removed your loguin.exe !!! dum dum dummmmm

... then wouldnt it freeze or just not boot?

I would check that your cooler fan is stil lrunning, if it overheats, the CPU will usually automatically shutdown. Go to BIOS and check your temperatures. Otherwise, I would try to look for an faulty PSU or shorting.

Step

I have problem with my existing PC. It suddently crashed. When I try rebooting the machine, the Windows-XP logo comes up and a blue-screen is dumped immediately and shuts down. The blue-screen only stays for a fraction of a second and doesn't allow to read the message.

When I try reinstalling the Windows-XP operating system, The process hangs while the system is reading the Windows system files from the CD and it wont even proceed till it shows me a disk partition screen to move forward.

I am not sure where the problem lies. This system has been running for over two years and never had this issue.

Any ideas for fixing this will he helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Blue screen of death often appears when appears bad sectors on HDD. Thats why, reinstalling of windows over by old copy of it can't be realized. ( Unfortunally, I haven't time to tell more about reason of this problem ) You can copied wishful data from part C on other parts of HDD with special programms ( for example - ERD Commander or others, which can be on disks
"Reanimator XP", also, if you have a good friend with PC, you can try plug your HDD for his (her ;) ) PC and rewrite data on it. After saving data you must FORMAT your part C and only after this you can try to install Windows XP again. I'm sure, that you will install it. Good luck.

Impulse666

... then wouldnt it freeze or just not boot?

I would check that your cooler fan is stil lrunning, if it overheats, the CPU will usually automatically shutdown. Go to BIOS and check your temperatures. Otherwise, I would try to look for an faulty PSU or shorting.

Your CPU is good for at the very least a couple minutes before it would shut down like that. I had a very similar problem on a laptop a couple weeks ago.

Get an XP installation CD if convenient, boot from it, and go to the recovery console, and type:
Code:
chkdsk /r

Alternatively, you can grab an MS-DOS floppy boot disk and do the same.

parthum

I have tried all the suggestions and windows XP cd always hangs while reading windows system files before it even prompts for the windows licence.

So, I went a head and tried installation of redhat and Suse linux on the same machine to just check if they will atleast move forward with the installation and both of them just in their initial screen of display throw a "kernel panic" error and just hang. While trying the Redhat linux I saw the error as follows.

RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
invalid compressed format (err=2)<6>Freeing initrd memory: 143k freed
VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 00:00
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

Meanwhile, I used the CD that came with the hard disk am able to re-format and run chkdisk on the whole disk and the hdd looks like its fine.

I feel there is something terribly wrong with this machine. Any other hints on this ?

Step

Try to change BIOS settings for "Default settings" and check main memory. If you have a couple plates, try change it places or if it can - add one plate or take away.

Last edited:

parthum

*** Problem Fixed ***

Guys,

I am able to fix the problem last night. The problem is with one of the RAM slots. I removed one of the RAM slots which I installed lately around last year on the machine and the installation of Windows went through.

After the successful installation of windows, I tried putting back the remaining RAM and it came up with the same exact blue screen behaviour. So, This RAM slot looks like is damaged and created problems.

So, I think I just have to live with half the memory I had before.

Any idea, why RAM got damaged, what can cause this and how can it be fixed(If at all possible) ?

*** Thanks for all your advice ***