Wireless Access Points?

Machin3

Hey everyone! I'm having trouble understanding whether I am able to have two wireless routers in my house to create access points for the 3-floor house i live in. Someone told me I can't while another person told me I can. Right now my house looks as follows:

Top Floor
My room has ethernet port where I have a switch so I would want to put a Linksys Wireless Router so that I can have internet wireless in up stairs
Basement
Wireless Router + Modem are kept in the basement.

Am I able to have 2x Linksys Wireless Routers in my house which will act as access points for strengthen the connection?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can. Follow this guide.

For instance 2 linksys routers.

router 1 in basement set dhcp enabled and wireless on. also its ip address should be 192.168.1.1

router 2 on top floor set dhcp disabled, wireless on with a different ssid then the first router and set its ip address to 192.168.1.2

You need a cable from one of the 4 outputs on first router to one of the 4 ports on the second router, do not use the internet port.

You need to setup router 2 before connecting it to the first router.

SslagleZ28

Yes you can. Follow this guide.

For instance 2 linksys routers.

router 1 in basement set dhcp enabled and wireless on. also its ip address should be 192.168.1.1

router 2 on top floor set dhcp disabled, wireless on with a different ssid then the first router and set its ip address to 192.168.1.2

You need a cable from one of the 4 outputs on first router to one of the 4 ports on the second router, do not use the internet port.

You need to setup router 2 before connecting it to the first router.

I think the only problem he will have here is he cant gt a wire from router 1 to router 2... I think what he was wondering was if he could bouce the signal like a cell phone tower... send the signal from the router in the basement to the 2nd router upstairs to make the signal stronger

Method9

I think the only problem he will have here is he cant gt a wire from router 1 to router 2... I think what he was wondering was if he could bouce the signal like a cell phone tower... send the signal from the router in the basement to the 2nd router upstairs to make the signal stronger

I've yet to try it firsthand but I believe in order to do this he needs to have a router that has the ability to act as a repeater. Not all routers have this ability.

If your router does not have that ability, you might be able to upgrade the firmware to something open source that will support the function, kinda like here.

Last edited:

mrbals

yeah i agree with u.then why not move the switch to the 2nd floor since its not in use on d 3rd floor.dnt know much abt linksys router anyway ,supposing it was cisco router,u culd ve just connected d 2 routers via its serial ports.