Wireless help?????

eurovw89

When I connect to the interest wireless, and have a connection, it say this:

Wireless Network Connection Status:
Speed: 48.0 Mps
Signal Strength: Good

But when I double click the internet explorer....nothing at all....all it says is "the page cannot be displayed".

But as soon as I plug in my ethernet cable in:

Local Area Connection:
Speed: 100.0 Mps

It works fine......can someone PLEASE help me? it was working fine an hour ago???

Technogab

First see if you can ping anything when on wireless.

Go to a command prompt and type
ping yahoo.com (or any other site you want)
If it replies back, you know that you are at least getting out to the internet. If it doesn'ttry pinging by IP address
Ping 216.109.112.135

If you get a reply, then you know that its a DNS issue and you cant resolve domain names. If that's the case, check the configuration (tcp/ip) properties for the wireless and make sure you have the correct DNS entries in there. Your ISP should automatically assign them if you are using DHCP. If not, then you will need to manually enter them.

Also, try pinging any other PC on your network assuming you have another PC on the network.

Also, try accessing your router by the browser via wireless. Most likely 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

eurovw89

This is what it said after I tried to ping:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

E:\Documents and Settings\Derek>Ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

E:\Documents and Settings\Derek>Ping 216.109.112.135

Pinging 216.109.112.135 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.109.112.135:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

E:\Documents and Settings\Derek>

SRF

Repair?

Try repairing the network connection, sometimes works for me. In "My Computer" on the left side click "My Network Places" -> Then click on "View Network Connections" -> Find your wireless connection and right click, and click "repair". A dialog box should pop up and repair the connection, let me know if it goes through and says it was fixed (if it was try the internet) otherwise let me know what part it failed at.

Lectrician

what happens if you disable and reeanble the card?

Thats what the repair option does.

What firewall do you have on the laptop? You may need to look at the networking part in there, as the two network connections are seen as different treats.

When on wireless, what do you get when type ipconfig at the command line?