wireless internet on vista

happeharkore

i have used this computer for over a year without any problem. but before it was hooked up directly to the router to get its internet. i just recently gave the computer to my brother and bought him a wireless internet adapter, the linksys compact wireless-g usb adapter to be specific. when you restart the computer it will connect with no problem, will find multiple options to connect to and the one from my house has 5 bars so i know it can find the internet. but after about 30 seconds to a minute it just disconnects and wont show any wireless networks. i have uninstalled/reinstalled a bunch of times already, the wireless interenet on my moms computer is working fine, and i installed the usb adapter to my moms laptop as well to see if that worked and it worked like a charm on hers. does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? i looked for problems and found nothing but praise from other people with vista. thanx ahead for anyone who can help me.

raoul_1101

I have had A LOT of problems with wireless networking on my Vista machine, and its temperamental ;). Heres a couple things I've done in the past to get around it:

-Try power-cycling the router and modem.

-Disable the Local Area connection and Wireless connection out of the Network and Sharing Center. Re-enable the Wireless connection (not the LAC if you don't need it)

-Disconnect, delete the connection you have saved, and reconnect it.

Also, try disabling TCP-scaling.

dznutz

have you tried installing this on another vista machine? if not then try it. if that's not possible then we can assume you need a driver upgrade that supports vista.

also, does the linksys use their own software to look for connections or does it use windows' software? if it prefers using the linksys program then you'll probably have to disable the option for windows to manage the connection if it already hasn't.