wireless internet

jimmymac

VIP Member
my wireless internet is being an absolute git today.

Signal keeps going low to very low and getting about 1mbps from it. I have tried resetting the router and the computer a few times, this usually puts it up to about 54mbps but it drops down again in a matter of minutes.

I've had the setup for a good few months now and generally its fairly stable

anything else i can try to get this thing stable?

dave597

VIP Member
switch back to cable for a while - wireless is a bit less reliable, could be interference, bad router, etc..

jimmymac

VIP Member
switch back to cable for a while - wireless is a bit less reliable, could be interference, bad router, etc..

whole reason i have wireless is because cable would have been a nightmare to put in so thats not an option

router is a netgear DG834G and a usrobotics MaxG pci wireless card

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am not familiar with the netgear CP but does it offer logging or does it have a status feature where you can see how many packets come in and go out, and how many of them have errrors?

I have this feature on my router, but its not a netgear.

SirKenin

banned
Hmmm. I've been hearing a lot of bad things about Netgear. Try a different router and see if that solves your problem. Or, at the very least, see if a flash upgrade solves the problem.

jimmymac

VIP Member
netgear have been solid routers for quite some time, know a lot of people using them over here without issues and come well recommended so far, packets are coming through fine with no errors. It has been stable again for about the last 30 mins so hopefully it was just a little glitch...