Wireless Network - problems with signal

2nah

Hi, I am having some wireless connectivity issues that hopefully someone can help with. I live in a tri-plex where my roomates and I share a wireless connection with the people above us to save a little $. We've had it set up for a few months....and we've had no problems other than when it drops out ( which seems to happen a lot) and the router needs to be restarted and then it works again. But in my room, which is where my computer is, and is the furthest from the router of any of the computers on the network, it is suddenly not finding our default network anymore. I am a floor below the router and about 15 feet away from it. A couple days ago my connection dropped, as well as my roomates, who's room is right below the router. Then yesterday his started working again, at first it would cut in and out, but now it seems to be working fine. My computer however, still can't find our network. It finds two named networks that I had never seen before....and I dont know where the'yre from, but it doesnt come up with our usual default connection. I just brought my computer into my roomates room to see if it was an issue of signal strength or not, and apparently it is because I am on my computer right now. So what I am wondering is if anyone has any suggestions for improving the signal...and if you reccommend getting a signal booster, what would you reccommend and how much would it improve the signal? Thanks

Last edited:
wireless networks are suseptible to interferance. check that you dont have any electrical appliancesnext to it. Try to keep cell phones and radios away and florecent lighting.

ceewi1

VIP Member
You can also try changing the channel on which it connects. If someone else has set up a wireless network nearby using the same channel, this could casue the problem.

randruff

First question: Are you losing your actual connection to the router or is your connection to the router intact but no net connectivity? Which router do you have? Which standard does it operate on (A,B, or G)? What frequency? (2.4ghz) If it is 2.4ghz, keep in mind there are many household items that also use that frequency. A microwave uses 2.4ghz waves. Many cordless phones do. The list can go on....the point being, try to centrally place the router while keeping distance from other electronics that may cause interference.