Wireless Question

liquidshadow

What is a wireless access point? There is one port for a CAT5/6 wire so I assume that I plug that into my computer. Is an access point pretty much the same thing as a wireless adapter? Do I just use it to connect it to the router's LAN network?

rogueeskimo

What is a wireless access point? There is one port for a CAT5/6 wire so I assume that I plug that into my computer. Is an access point pretty much the same thing as a wireless adapter? Do I just use it to connect it to the router's LAN network?

an access point is the source of the internet, the wireless adapter is what attaches onto your computer via usb or pci.
yes, you use it to connect to router.

liquidshadow

I already read the wikipedia term but thanks anyway.
What I'm asking is: If I have the wireless access point connected to my computer and my router to the modem, do I also need a wireless adapter? Would the access point be able to act as the adapter?

Also, if a router has more than 1 antenna, is it better? I heard that if only one antenna is present, then the max speed of the router will drop down, for example, 108mbit/s when one computer is connected, 54mbit/s when 2 or more are connected. Is that true?

rogueeskimo

if you have a wireless acces point attached to the computer, doesnt that mean that you always have to have it on? i have a wireless adapter and a router. the router i use is connected to the cable modem. the router is a 2 antenna linksys and the adapter is attached to the pci slot in my computer.

how far away from the modem are you?
it would save alot of money if you just use an ethernet cable to attach your computer to the internet.

the wireless adapter is only for the family computer, cuz its in another room. my real computer (specs on sig:) ) is connected via ethernet because the modem is right next to it...

jljhlhl

Sorry if I dont understand your question, but if you WIRE in your wireless access point, you dont need the adapter, if you want wireless, you need an adapter.

liquidshadow

My computer is upstairs and the modem is downstairs so I need to do wireless.
This is what I mean:

Internet - Modem - Router

My computer - Access Point

Do I need to wire the access point to the router? Or can the access point be used as an adapter?

(I don't have a wireless adapter on my computer. I'm asking if the access point thing can be used as an adapter if I wire it to my computer.)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Access points can't be made into makeshift network cards... However, some do have common network cards inside of them(miniPCI or PCMCIA) so you might be able to take that out and connect it to your computer(well, rather limited to laptops)