with 6 Gb of DDR3 I thought load screens were a thing of the past

Lewel Stamp

I recently built my first computer and thought that 6Gb of DDR3 1600 was overkill, but I'm finding that load screens still take a good long while to load. Was I overly optimistic or do I need to tweak my hardware?

The build works very well, has been operating without problem for over a month. All parts are compatible but with games the load screens still take a minute. I don't know if I should include more info, nor what information would be useful to anyone out there so I'll keep this minimal.

thanks for your help.

lewel stamp

ScOuT

VIP Member
Load screen are the computer pulling the information from the hard drive and game files. While more and better RAM will give you a slight increase...it's basically the processor and hard drive that determines the speed of load screens.

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

The bottleneck you are hitting with your system is the hard drive transfer rate. Hard drives transfer data around 60 to 80 megabytes a second presently far slower than RAM (the RAM in your system is around 12,000 megabytes a second). You can get a good solid state drive (costs around a rediculous $300) that transfers data three times faster than a regular hard drive.

funkysnair

VIP Member
the slowest part of the pc is the one with moving parts... i got a 10,000rpm raptor, while its fast you still cant load instantly-solid state is the future

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
the slowest part of the pc is the one with moving parts... i got a 10,000rpm raptor, while its fast you still cant load instantly-solid state is the future

You can't even load instantly from solid state but it is much faster.

You could also go with a Raid setup like I have. Game installations are super quick as well as game loads. When playing a game like Guild wars I find I am 20 to 30 seconds faster than most people and get to the enemies first. I have never played wow but I would guess it would be quick too when going between areas of the map.

funkysnair

VIP Member

yeh true! i have owned a solid state drive and it did have the stuttering but when it was working it was dam fast and taht was a cheap one

im looking forward to all the big hard drive manufacturers putting all there money and effort into these solid state drives!

they can only get better as the consumer demand grows

linkin

VIP Member
@ OP:
Have you tried doing this?
Hit start > Run and type MSCONFIG
go to the BOOT tab, hit advanced options.
From there check the boxes that say "NUMPROC" and MAXMEM.
Numproc, if enabled, means that your pc will use all cores available to load the O/S, MAXMEM sets the memory useable when booting up. This will give you faster bootup times, and a little performance increase in windows.

Make sure that NUMPROC is set to the number of cores your CPU has (eg mine has 2) and MAXMEM to the amount of RAM you have. (eg 2gb. 2048 in mb)

Click apply and restart, you should notice a boost in speed.

aviation_man

@ OP:
Have you tried doing this?
Hit start > Run and type MSCONFIG
go to the BOOT tab, hit advanced options.
From there check the boxes that say "NUMPROC" and MAXMEM.
Numproc, if enabled, means that your pc will use all cores available to load the O/S, MAXMEM sets the memory useable when booting up. This will give you faster bootup times, and a little performance increase in windows.

Make sure that NUMPROC is set to the number of cores your CPU has (eg mine has 2) and MAXMEM to the amount of RAM you have. (eg 2gb. 2048 in mb)

Click apply and restart, you should notice a boost in speed.

I believe that only helps boot up ;)

linkin

VIP Member
hmm... You could try bumping the voltage on your ram to 2.1 or 2.2 and see how running C3 timings go.

tlarkin

VIP Member

Except write speeds are slower, which is why they haven't fully caught on yet.

Disk I/O is always the biggest bottle neck which is why any PC with over 4gigs of RAM is a waste of money.

jonathanx54

If it is his hardrive that's slowing him down, then i wonder what type he has. Sounds like it's one of the older types with IDE connecters, but i'm not a genius.
If he gets a SATA drive then it should be faster I would think.

lovely?

They would be basically the same, IDE being 5-15mbps slower. but that isn't enough to make a massive difference.

Cleric7x9

Except write speeds are slower, which is why they haven't fully caught on yet.

Disk I/O is always the biggest bottle neck which is why any PC with over 4gigs of RAM is a waste of money.

the slowest write speeds of this generation's slowest SSDs are faster than a raptor's write speeds. the read speeds are much faster. anandtech has a great article about it that im too lazy to find.

2048Megabytes

I just wish the price would come down on solid state drives. I would like to get one but I'm certainly not going to pay much more than $100 for one.

tlarkin

VIP Member
the slowest write speeds of this generation's slowest SSDs are faster than a raptor's write speeds. the read speeds are much faster. anandtech has a great article about it that im too lazy to find.

Last I read, and this was recent, that when many transactions go on at once the SSD drives are slower at write speeds than the older traditional hard drives.

It has probably been close to a year since I did extensive research on them.