WMP54GS wireless card not talking to ATT router, need help configuring

larbec7

Hello,
I have a WMP54GS wireless card inside my desktop and I can not get on line with my DSL ATT wireless router/modem. I have 5 lap tops that I am surfing without any issues. How do I configure my desktop so I can browse the internet?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you enter the 10 digit key in brackets that is on the bottom of the wireless router?

larbec7

yes, but I am not sure if I am entering it in the corrwect place. I have XP on the desktop....on my laptop I have windows 7 and it says connect to and then I can key in the numbers. How do I do this in XP?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you connect to a network in xp that has security on it you will get a box that you will have to enter the security key and then confirm it by retyping it again.

larbec7

I understand but "the" box does not come up. How do y0ou make the box pop up for me to enter the number???

rawcomputers

been a while since i used xp wireless....

right click the taskbar icon for wireless, bring up the network list and click on the one you want to connect to.

you should be prompted after a few seconds for the network key

if you cant see the network make sure the ssid is being broadcasted, and that your card can connect to the signal being transmitted (make sure the router isn't 'wireless n' only or something.

larbec7

on my taskbar I can bring up my linksys and it shows all my signals are good and connected. I have an excellent signal to my ATT router and it shows green for my internal card as well BUT nothing comes up to enter a security number

larbec7

The problem

Here is the issue.....In Vista and Windows 7 you go to the start menu, then connect to and it brings up a box to enter the security code...How do you bring up the security box in XP? This is my issue (i think)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It might be easier for you to disable the linksys wireless utility at startup and use the windows wireless configuration.

rawcomputers

uninstall the program, and in my experience the windows wireless manager takes over automatically.
did you try uninstalling the wireless card then reinstalling?