workgroup or domain

Jet

VIP Member
I have just used workgroups in the little networking I have done. Domains I guess are more for huge businesses?

I second T_O_O

tlarkin

VIP Member
Domain networks allow you to push out user policy, group policy, applications, etc from a server side solution. It is meant to manage thousands of people. Things like OD, AD, NDS, LDAP, etc are used in bigger enterprise level solutions.

Your domain can control your work groups, if you have multiple. Domains also have more cost because you must build a domain server, and the users must authenticate to it.

apj101

VIP Member
better in what way, i have set up domain controllers on my home network before... why... just to see how it was done and learn a little... so in that way it could be considered "best"

But setting up a domain controller takes a few hours, setting up a workgroup takes a few seconds....:)

cdanik

Domain

I have more than 5 users, so should I spend money on server 2000, because 2003 is out of my price range??? I have almost 10 users, and 4 or 5 computers.

Technogab

It depends on what you are going to do with it. If you want to push out policies and scripts and control all authentication using Active Directory, than a Domain is what you will need. A Domain isn't just for large companies. You can have 15 employees and run an Exchange Server and Active Directory to manage accounts and email. A Domain lets you manage things better, but if all you want to do is network some computers and share resources and don't mind a little more hands on administration, than a workgroup is fine.

SirKenin

banned
I use a domain. It is far easier to manage policies and control the network. Plus my DNS server runs off the AD server too, so I can manage that as well, rather than relying on my ISP's. I like being able to log my printer server into the domain and manage the printers that way. So much easier.

brinky2006

Domains are brilliant things, but should only be used for real network customisation, such as policys, active directory etc, just as Technogab has commented on.

I use a workgroup for my home wireless network, where i can connect to my music of any laptop, or my psp, and also connect to the internet.

I am currently in the stages of setting up a domain network for my the company i work for. This will be run under server 2003, where as the workgroup is just done under xp.

Adam

tlarkin

VIP Member
Domains are brilliant things, but should only be used for real network customisation, such as policys, active directory etc, just as Technogab has commented on.

I use a workgroup for my home wireless network, where i can connect to my music of any laptop, or my psp, and also connect to the internet.

I am currently in the stages of setting up a domain network for my the company i work for. This will be run under server 2003, where as the workgroup is just done under xp.

Adam

Exactly what I was trying to say I just didn't spell it out. There is absolutely no reason to run a DNS server in your house, unless you are either A) Learning how it works, or B) trying to make your family authenticate and push out group policy/permissions/home directories (which seems absurd for a home network).

It's an Enterprise level solution.

cdanik

I use a domain. It is far easier to manage policies and control the network. Plus my DNS server runs off the AD server too, so I can manage that as well, rather than relying on my ISP's. I like being able to log my printer server into the domain and manage the printers that way. So much easier.

What DNS Server do you use?