Worth waiting for the i9?

Dradan

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick question... I was planning on building a new computer. I have my heart set on the i7 920 or 930. Do you guys think the prices of the i7 will drop enough with the release of the i9's to warrant waiting until then?

My current plan was to piece the components out starting with the psu/case, then continuing to Memory > HD > Monitor > Peripherals > GPU > Mobo/CPU in that order. If I decide not to wait, It would probably take me about 2 months to acquire said components.

Any input would be appreciated. ;)

Thanks

ScottALot

It was originally dubbed the i9, but intel figured that it should remain in the i7 category because they use the same basic structure or something like that.

Dradan

ok.... So are they coming out with a 6 core processor in the near future? If so, should I wait it out? Do you guys think there will be a significant price drop of the i7 900's when it releases?

Thanks

bomberboysk

The 980x is a $1000 processor however...if you are looking for a deal on an i7 930 though, check if you have a microcenter close...$199 for an i7 930 there.

votter

I wouldn't look for the mobo last in your order, it is usually easier to pick out the mobo so that you know the memory it supports, ect. Just what I've noticed as being easier.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't look for the mobo last in your order, it is usually easier to pick out the mobo so that you know the memory it supports, ect. Just what I've noticed as being easier.

Yeah, it's more like: CPU -> Mobo -> RAM -> GPU -> Case -> PSU -> HDD

For water cooling, you'd want to make a decision on the case first to ensure compatibility.

spynoodle

^ Those seem like some nice choices. Very reliable. For the GPU, also consider the new Nvidia Geforce GTX 465. It offers about the same performance as the 5850 for about the same price.

mihir

VIP Member
^ Those seem like some nice choices. Very reliable. For the GPU, also consider the new Nvidia Geforce GTX 465. It offers about the same performance as the 5850 for about the same price.

Nope the HD 5850 is better

Colin+McRae+Dirt+2.jpg

3DMark+Vantage+%28DirectX+10%29.jpg

VGA+performance+Metro+2033.jpg

The GTX 465 is same price as HD 5850 but
The HD 5850 performs better consumes less power and produces less heat
and can be crossfired only using a 750w PSU and the HD 5850 CF performs better than the GTX 465 SLI

spynoodle

Nope the HD 5850 is better

Colin+McRae+Dirt+2.jpg

3DMark+Vantage+%28DirectX+10%29.jpg

VGA+performance+Metro+2033.jpg

The GTX 465 is same price as HD 5850 but
The HD 5850 performs better consumes less power and produces less heat
and can be crossfired only using a 750w PSU and the HD 5850 CF performs better than the GTX 465 SLI
Wow, didn't think there was that much of a difference. Thanks for the info mihir! :good:

spynoodle

I don't believe that graph, unless that is only one random game. The 5850 and 470 directly throw punches at each other, but get into SLI the 470 starts throwing punches at the 5870's in crossfire. Fermi scales better in multiple GPU solutions than any of the ati cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-2-3-way-sli-review/
Yeah, that's just what I was thinking after reading that graph. I wouldn't have thought that the 470 would've posed too much competition for the 5870 (and it doesn't), but it does in SLI. I've also learned that www.videocardbenchmark.net favors the GTX 400 series. :( I usually lean towards Nvidia, but I have to admit: Fermi just doesn't pose too much of a thread to the 5xxx series in anything less than the competition for the fastest card.